Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By berg243
  • 1 Post By berg243
  • 1 Post By The Ginger 1

Thread: wtb snorkel and fins

wtb snorkel and fins

Hey guys.
    Off to Raro Tonga next weekend and am a bit late in organising myself. I'm going to be doing some snorkelling obviously and have been wanting to get into spearing etc for ages so am going to take the opportunity to convince my wife it's a good time to buy some good gear. So after advice on what to get and what u got if you have some gear collecting dust. Cheers
    Tim

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

fin length is a bit dependant on your leg strength the longer the more it takes to drive them.i used to use a short fairly stiff set as I only snorkelled in shallow water and didn't dive much as I was mainly spearing flounder and blue cod .probably best to look at a medium length and medium flex as they are easy to upgrade later to longer ones once you know what you can dive with them as for a snorkel I prefer ones with the valve at the bottom to help clear water after going down for a fish. also I like the longer ones especially when it is a bit choppy as I tend to tip my head too far under and get the odd bit of spray down them and then spend 5 mins coughing trying to get it out off my lungs.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

What size are your feet? I’m selling a set of cressi gara 3000 fins.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    fin length is a bit dependant on your leg strength the longer the more it takes to drive them.i used to use a short fairly stiff set as I only snorkelled in shallow water and didn't dive much as I was mainly spearing flounder and blue cod .probably best to look at a medium length and medium flex as they are easy to upgrade later to longer ones once you know what you can dive with them as for a snorkel I prefer ones with the valve at the bottom to help clear water after going down for a fish. also I like the longer ones especially when it is a bit choppy as I tend to tip my head too far under and get the odd bit of spray down them and then spend 5 mins coughing trying to get it out off my lungs.
    Nice one. any brands./models too look for.. who's the.main online seller in NZ bigger all to choose from down here from what I've seen

I'm a US size 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbox View Post
    What size are your feet? Iím selling a set of cressi gara 3000 fins.

Yeah nah not going to happen. They’re a us8-9 haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbox View Post
    Yeah nah not going to happen. Theyíre a us8-9 haha
    Bugger

have you had a look at wettie.co.nz .Darren shields the diver that has been on a few shows on tv runs it.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    have you had a look at wettie.co.nz .Darren shields the diver that has been on a few shows on tv runs it.
    Nah I will have a look

If you're keen on getting seriously into spearing then I'd stay away from the snorkels with the dump valve in the bottom. They are prone to leaking and also act as a fog horn underwater scaring away any sort of half clever fish species. In saying that, snorkels are cheap so not a big deal buying something else later. Recommendations re fin length and stiffness are spot on. The bigger you are, the stiffer the thin. The main choice then with fins is material type. Which should be a choice between carbon/composite or more traditional plastic. As a learner I'd go plastic definitely. Way more durable and wont risk cracking in the shitty surge while Paua diving etc. My 2c

Don’t get too carried away with gear for raro, you can’t get deep enough with out going out side the reef
    Out side of it isn’t for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Donít get too carried away with gear for raro, you canít get deep enough with out going out side the reef
    Out side of it isnít for newbies
    Not gonna get carried away but the old saying goes buy once cry once. I'm no stranger to being in the Ocean mind you, so.Will have a distinct advantage against your standard newbie. I have surfed all my life and have had many of long hold downs! My snorkelling IS limited though I did do a bit of spearing with a Hawaiian sling as a grom just never got serious about it.. if I go buy a snorkel mask and fins it won't be shut as there's plenty of Paua and Cray down here I've been told..