Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: wtb spotting scope

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hawke's Bay
    Posts
    74

    wtb spotting scope

    After a decent quality mid-range spotting scope for under $1500. Anybody got anything??
    Cheers
    Josh

  2. #2
    Member Tikka7mm08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Loburn
    Posts
    2,626
    Got a Nikon ED50?

  3. #3
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    951
    a new Kowa 20-60x60 from Serious Shooters? circa $1200-$1300. good glass and very light weight. a decent mid range option

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hawke's Bay
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Got a Nikon ED50?
    Thanks mate but would prefer an angled eye piece and 40x or more at top end
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hawke's Bay
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    a new Kowa 20-60x60 from Serious Shooters? circa $1200-$1300. good glass and very light weight. a decent mid range option
    Thanks they look good ill look into them more. Have you used them yourself and rate the glass?

  6. #6
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    a new Kowa 20-60x60 from Serious Shooters? circa $1200-$1300. good glass and very light weight. a decent mid range option
    And like a lot of things on Serious's website "This item has been sold. Send us a Stock Enquiry." That aside, Kowa have always made excellent spotting scopes. I have one of their old models which I paid $1k for many moons ago. Presume their cheaper line is still made in Japan.

  7. #7
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Silverdale
    Posts
    2,679
    got a Konus 20-60 x 80 (or 70?) need to check exact model. $300 plus postage if interested. I hardly used,like new condition - upgraded to Euro glass.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

  8. #8
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    And like a lot of things on Serious's website "This item has been sold. Send us a Stock Enquiry." That aside, Kowa have always made excellent spotting scopes. I have one of their old models which I paid $1k for many moons ago. Presume their cheaper line is still made in Japan.
    easy to give them a call, there was one there when i was there late last week and they can probably get one as the supplier is on the shore (know this as i got one a few weeks earlier...). tip: be cheeky and ask for a discount

  9. #9
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    951
    and yep still made in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    And like a lot of things on Serious's website "This item has been sold. Send us a Stock Enquiry." That aside, Kowa have always made excellent spotting scopes. I have one of their old models which I paid $1k for many moons ago. Presume their cheaper line is still made in Japan.

  10. #10
    Member Uplandstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    1,354
    Should be able to get a Vortex Viper HD in 65mm for that money.
    Vortex Optics - Viper HD 15-45x65 Angled

  11. #11
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ginger 1 View Post
    After a decent quality mid-range spotting scope for under $1500. Anybody got anything??
    Cheers
    Josh
    Have you considered putting that money into top quality rangefinder binos ?

    quality bino glass on a tripod will allow you to see a lot of detail.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay of Plenty
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    got a Konus 20-60 x 80 (or 70?) need to check exact model. $300 plus postage if interested. I hardly used,like new condition - upgraded to Euro glass.
    What do you mean upgraded to euro glass?

    Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hawke's Bay
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Have you considered putting that money into top quality rangefinder binos ?

    quality bino glass on a tripod will allow you to see a lot of detail.
    Cheers Andrew. Have got em already. They don't cut it for evaluation at all on horned game past any meaningful distance IMHO

  14. #14
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ginger 1 View Post
    After a decent quality mid-range spotting scope for under $1500. Anybody got anything??
    Cheers
    Josh
    You'll need a bit more than that for trophy evaluation. Having used those types for spotters you'd be better to save another g and get the next step up.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hawke's Bay
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    You'll need a bit more than that for trophy evaluation. Having used those types for spotters you'd be better to save another g and get the next step up.
    Thanks. Hoped I might get lucky with a pre-field days deal of the century...
    Agreed re the step between the 1500 -3k plus scopes.
    Thanks again all

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB spotting scope
    By mayfly in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  2. wtb - spotting scope
    By Smiddy in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-02-2014, 10:30 PM
  3. WTB spotting scope
    By Bushrash in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM
  4. Spotting scope,
    By BRADS in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  5. Spotting Scope?
    By Malhunting in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!