Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Beaker
  • 1 Post By Beaker
  • 4 Post By tommygun

Thread: WTB or swap AR-15 barrel

WTB or swap AR-15 barrel

I have a 16" DPMS bull barrel which is threaded 1/2x28, looking for another 16" barrel with the same thread, or possibly to swap this one. The weight is not bad at all, until I add the stainless steel suppressor, then it becomes less user-friendly. The barrel I have on it has done 150 rounds. I've been doing some research and those Faxon pencil barrels look pretty good all things considered.......
    Cheers, Tom

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I have a 16" DPMS bull barrel which is threaded 1/2x28, looking for another 16" barrel with the same thread, or possibly to swap this one. The weight is not bad at all, until I add the stainless steel suppressor, then it becomes less user-friendly. The barrel I have on it has done 150 rounds. I've been doing some research and those Faxon pencil barrels look pretty good all things considered.......
    Cheers, Tom
    How much to buy?

I have a faxon barrel to, and so far seems good as. Only shot around 50 rounds, but happy with groups. Might get serious and try for a proper group soon......
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    How much to buy?

I have a faxon barrel to, and so far seems good as. Only shot around 50 rounds, but happy with groups. Might get serious and try for a proper group soon......
    Which length and gas Faxon and what are the groups like? Looking at getting one also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Which length and gas Faxon and what are the groups like? Looking at getting one also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    14.5, and .625 GB.
    Can't really comment on groups to much, as haven't tried to shoot groups, just really tuned the adjustable GB and had a few more to see if all OK. But I was happy that they didn't seem all over the page. I'll try some this weekend if I get a chance
    Feral likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

@Feral sorry I got the barrel make wrong, it's a dominion arms.
    Feral likes this.

@tommygun any idea on $ for your barrel?

Alright never mind, Ken at NZAR15 is expecting more Faxon barrels next month. Interesting interviews and testfires on InRangeTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4g2CWtjOo
    If you have the hours to spare, that interview(S) makes for interesting listening, they also tested a modern AR with a Faxon pencil barrel against a Colt SP1 (A1 style AR from the 60's), they shot a group, did a mag dump of 30 rounds and shot another group, due to modern metallurgy and heat treating, the Faxon shifted point of impact about 1/6 the distance that the old-school one did, so I'm pretty convinced that I'll go for a light-weight barrel this time around; a nice change for every single other centrefire rifle I own =)