Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mauser308

Thread: WTS, .303Brit FMJ - HXP 300round tin

WTS, .303Brit FMJ - HXP 300round tin

Hey, I have a 300 round tin of HXP Mk7Z (opened so not sealed but all contents present and in unopened condition - 300 rounds on 5round clips and in 50 round bandoleers).

This is the boxer primed reloadable brass, ball powder, lead/copper proj. and non-corrosive made to US (Winchester-Western?) specs in Greece in 1975.

Top stuff, some of the best .303 ball you can get.

Would swap for reloadable 7.62x51 milsurp 1 for 1, or looking for $450 picked up ($1.50 a pop, so the clips and bando's are chucked in...).

Selling on TM as well, so I guess I'll see what happens...
    tararua likes this.

Also have, wait for it:

496 rounds of CAC .303Brit Mk7 ball.

Various years (not that it matters much with the CAC ammo as long as it is around the 1950-onwards mark and the same pill). Good stuff, no click-bang or click-fizz and the occasional minor storage mark.

Split by year:
    1959 66 loose, 175 in clips (35 clips total)
    1958 35
    1956 99
    1955 37
    1954 25
    1952 19
    1943 17

And 23 clipped tip FMJ all late year CAC as well.

This is all the tub/tube ammo (well maybe not the '43), and sourced over a few years hence the various headstamps.

This is not easily reloadable, although I see Gunworks selling Berdan primers for this now. The brass is actually quite good quality, but the cordite/corrosive loadings aren't too flash for brass life you really need to U/S clean the brass quickly after shooting for best case life if you are going to reload. However, you could just pick up the HXP and no f**king around with priming! Of the Mk7 Berdan loads, probably the most preferred and just no comparison to anything from the middle east or Pakistan/India.

Again, open to trades on 7.62x51 milsurp on this, ADI F4 or similar or might look at trade for lesser amount of reloadable milsurp. If I end up turfing it onto the auction robbers site probably look to $0.75 a pop or somewhere, getting hard to source in quantity now.

Chuck ya trade offers in as well. I haven't shot a .303 for approx. 5 years now...

res
    I have some r1m1 7.62x51 I could do a trade with,also plenty of 7.62x39 fmj.
    Or other gun stuff if there is anything your after?
    Using Tapatalk

Hey, how much of the SA ball do you have? The ruski ammo probably isn't a lot of use to me, only have one rifle that digests it and it's a bolt-action hunting type... Not sure if there's any other gun stuff I need right now but the again I might not know I 'need' it yet! Cheers

ebf
    @steven ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Hey, how much of the SA ball do you have?
    The best part of 30k
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @ebf thanks. Its apparently amongst the best ammo/brass, however the price is un-realistic when I can import privy 303 brass from the USA at @50US per hundred and build my own accurate ammo up. It is also mil brass and capacity varies as well so for target work, no, 100yds WSRA, yes.

So for 300 rounds I wouldnt go past $1 each, and probably not even that.

Also Im a bit broke having ordered a new toy on Tuesday,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqTx1FXkMs

So I want 300 rounds, yes but 556...

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Oh and if you see pakistani 303 avoid it like the plague, the primers are really bad on them, they frequently dont go off or are delayed.

99% sure all the CAC is corrosive primers, again I wouldnt put it in my guns, not as $1k a barrel.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Yeah, the CAC is corrosive. Didn't seem to do much to the old timer's target barrels - you just gotta clean correctly. I would have more concern with the cordite propellant which can be extremely harsh on modern target barrels. It was one reason the normal 5-groove spec .303 barrels had lands and grooves of the same width.

The HXP brass is Winchester-Western military spec and off tooling exported from the US to Greece, so some of the most consistent cases you can get. The proj's are modern lead/copper flat base without the usual light filler or modern boat tails so usually go very well in LE's. It's also loaded with ball powder which is about as nice as it gets for barrel throats. And, probably the only milsurp boxer primed cases that didn't originally come out as Mk8z (or machine gun) loads from what I've seen.

Cases are fine for target work or at least the fired HXP cases I have are. Not in the same grade as Norma or Lapua (which are now difficult to get in .303Br anyway) but better than any of the other Euro brass which can be quite variable and none too flash. I've had several neck splits on first firing on factory loads with S&B, Highland and Privi. About the only 'advantage' for the Privi cases is the case head/web is thicker (a bit irrelevant if your chamber is the correct size and headspace is right). Apparently they make the Wolf ammo now.

When I was shooting the HXP stuff regularly, it was easily good for under 1.5" at 100yds - that was about the limit for eyeball for me on factory No4Mk2 sights (I was running about 1-3/4 to 2" on the CAC for the same).

As far as price on the HXP, discount the current cost of clips and you aren't far over $1 a shot...
    Last edited by Mauser308; 30-10-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Bump, HXP sold still have the CAC left if anyone is keen...