Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mauser308

Thread: WTS: Mauser .308, Leuplod M8 scout scope

WTS: Mauser .308, Leuplod M8 scout scope

I had this for sale a while back, thought I'd sold it but sale fell through (guy didn't get back to me) and I just haven't done anything else with it.

Very nice, light and comfortable to shoot hunting rifle. It was a M98 intermediate length Syrian Mauser action, has a synthetic stock for a M96 Mauser stiffened and bedded for the large ring action (same action screw spacing). It has a Limbsaver recoil pad fitted, just needs a small amount of plastic nipped off the toe of the pad to make it look 'proper'.

Bottom metal is upgraded to solid-steel M96 type with an extended floorplate release, extractor is smoothed and worked so as to not 'click' over the next case and so the bolt does not drag in the action making for much quieter bolt operation. The cocking piece has likewise been polished and the safety smoothed so as to minimise click and stick... The trigger has been left 2-pressure but smoothed and creep taken out. Barrel is ex-target, brand new but not fitted to a target rifle - it was lightened and re-threaded for the M98 receiver. Twist is 1-13, 24".

All metal work has flat-black Milspec coating, ACO sling on QR studs. Rings are Weaver quads, scope is Leupold M8 scout IER (intermediate eye relief). You can shoot this thing with both eyes open in the bush, works rather well.

I was getting under 1" of the bench with PMC 150Gr .308win ammo, but it really isn't that fussy with anything it eats and it does plenty fine for 90% of North Island hunting. The scope being 2.5x does not make it a 1000m tactical rifle anyway. Gary McColl did most of the 'smithing if it matters.

I have a set of two-piece scope bases new in packet, I was tossing around with drilling and tapping the action, fitting a side-swing safety and sweeping the bolt handle and shortening and suppressing it. As it is, the 3-position flag safety has a complete arc of travel and in the safe/bolt operating middle position it shows in front of the scope. Action is completely open so you can use stripper clips if wanted. Too many toys, not enough time...

Name:  PICT0478.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  270.4 KB

Looking for offers around $650 or might trade W.H.Y...

Where are you.

In bed, getting ready to go to sleep for the night mate.

Seriously, Tauranga. Should have put that in there - sorry!
    Toby likes this.