Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: (wts) vais MuzzleBrakes

(wts) vais MuzzleBrakes

this was on my 6.5 that is away getting work done to it,

can be opened up to 7mm or possible 30cal by a gun smith

im not 100% sure what the thread is but its tight I have tried to take a photo of it but if you plan to fit this to a rifle that has not already been threaded then this is not a problem

looking for $150 shipped ONO cheers Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  897.6 KBName:  IMG_0712.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  667.2 KB

Is it M14 ?

no my last one was m14 and this is tighter was fitted nz hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    no my last one was m14 and this is tighter was fitted nz hunter
    Dale, I will bet you that this is not a genuine Vais brake, but a copy by NZ hunter. Thread is likely to be something like 9/16-28, or 0.600"x28.

I used to make a similar 'type b' brake which I advertised in that magazine a few years ago. When I found out that they had a company in hawkes bay make copies behind my back, I was not impressed. Since pulled my advertising with that magazine. I could not believe the arrogance and lack of ethics.

If you were sold that brake as being a genuine Vais, then it is highly likely you have been deceived.

As to value, sorry, but for a 2nd hand imitation brake, probably about $50 or whatever you can get for it.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as it's not marked I can only say what I was told cheers as for the brake open to offers

Heads up @dfmaisey have been told from a knowledgable guy this is one of your brakes and is about 5.5 years old and should be tread 32 tpi but will check thanks

So since it's not a genuine Vais, the value is $50???
    How do you decide the value if it's functionally identical?
    Spanners, 338 and Toby like this.

Maybe ones made with a golden glove one one hand
    Spanners likes this.

@dfmaisey what was the bet you wanted to have ?

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    Heads up @dfmaisey have been told from a knowledgable guy this is one of your brakes and is about 5.5 years old and should be tread 32 tpi but will check thanks
    Hi Dale,

I am 99% sure that is not one of my original 'Type B' brakes. My first production run of brakes featured 32 radial holes, but had more metal in the front end near the face of the brake. That was one of my improvements over the Vais. These were only ever in 1/2-28 thread.
    My later brakes had 9/16-28 and 5/8-28 threads, but these had 40 holes for better performance. I can't be positive without measuring, but from the pic it looks like 9/16 or bigger thread to me.

The Duley brakes were closer to the Vais, but featured a longer more gradual taper at the rear - exactly like the one you have there in the pic.

On most of my old 'type b' brakes the radial holes were also slightly chamfered - not the case on the one in your pic.

As to value, well my ones sold new for $170. No idea what Duley sold his copies for but likely the same or less. Value likely to be half of that, I guess in the $50 - $100 range, but whether it can be fitted correctly to another rifle barrel, as the rear has already been tapered down to a very small shoulder diameter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but brake technology has advanced a lot more in recent years with new improved designs. My current line of brakes are among these, and ironically probably only came about as a direct result of the Duley debacle of a few years ago.
    Last edited by dfmaisey; 18-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

Can you confirm the thread please mate?

I have been asked to post the following by Greg Duley to clarify some mis-information posted previously.
    He would have done so himself but his account has been disabled:

--------------

Here are the facts for those that may be interested.

Dale, that brake is indeed a Vais 5/8x32 tpi brake, Dean is not correct.
    In the 90’s we imported a few Vais brakes.
    We also used to make a few Vais type radial brakes one at a time for our own rifles, and they appear in photos of our rifles in Rod&Rifle from the early 2000’s.

Dean then started getting some Vais type radial brakes made by a CNC outfit up his way.
    We started buying some off him, after he got some made in our thread sizes.
    He was not always able to supply as the CNC outfit was often too busy for these smaller runs, so we contacted a local CNC outfit about making some of our original Vais derived radial brakes. These were for rifles we were building and were not for retail.

I contacted Dean and asked him if he wanted our CNC outfit to make some for him as well at cost, we were not going to put a margin on them, even though he was putting a margin on to us. So much for going behind his back. It was our honesty and offer of brakes at cost that started this performance off.
    He spat the dummy and started sending us Lawyers letters, wasting both his money and ours until our Lawyer sent his Lawyer a letter pointing out they were in breach of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act or some such which ended the issue.

I have every communication I’ve ever had with Dean and so do our Lawyers. This silly claim about copying muzzle brakes is just ridiculous. Both Dean’s Types A and B and our version were derived from the much copied Vais type of radial brake, and we were making and using them long before he started getting them made himself.

Greg Duley

Editor

NZ Hunter Magazine

----------
    mayfly likes this.

@BRADS Vais 5/8x32 tpi

Ejected
    @BRADS do us all a favour and buy it please mate, I'll send you some money tomorrow night
    7mmsaum, BRADS and dale like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I have been asked to post the following by Greg Duley to clarify some mis-information posted previously.
    He would have done so himself but his account has been disabled:

--------------

Here are the facts for those that may be interested.

Dale, that brake is indeed a Vais 5/8x32 tpi brake, Dean is not correct.
    In the 90ís we imported a few Vais brakes.
    We also used to make a few Vais type radial brakes one at a time for our own rifles, and they appear in photos of our rifles in Rod&Rifle from the early 2000ís.

Dean then started getting some Vais type radial brakes made by a CNC outfit up his way.
    We started buying some off him, after he got some made in our thread sizes.
    He was not always able to supply as the CNC outfit was often too busy for these smaller runs, so we contacted a local CNC outfit about making some of our original Vais derived radial brakes. These were for rifles we were building and were not for retail.

I contacted Dean and asked him if he wanted our CNC outfit to make some for him as well at cost, we were not going to put a margin on them, even though he was putting a margin on to us. So much for going behind his back. It was our honesty and offer of brakes at cost that started this performance off.
    He spat the dummy and started sending us Lawyers letters, wasting both his money and ours until our Lawyer sent his Lawyer a letter pointing out they were in breach of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act or some such which ended the issue.

I have every communication Iíve ever had with Dean and so do our Lawyers. This silly claim about copying muzzle brakes is just ridiculous. Both Deanís Types A and B and our version were derived from the much copied Vais type of radial brake, and we were making and using them long before he started getting them made himself.

Greg Duley

Editor

NZ Hunter Magazine

----------
    For the record, there was no misinformation posted on my part. I also have detailed records of lawyers correspondence and emails from mr Duley with his interesting 'spin' of his justification for the events which unfolded.

I spoke with several individuals in the gun trade when I smelt a rat to find out exactly what had been going on behind the scenes. I considered it quite deceitful that despite the fact I had advertised with them for a couple of years, for about 6-12 months they had copies of brakes very similar to mine made at a local CNC shop, and we're essentially free-loading off my promotional work.

They were supplied with all the brakes they needed, and at a trade price as well. Of course I could not supply to them at cost price as I am running a business - just like they did not provide me with free advertising !

I was not involved in the forums back then, so never got my factual side of the story out. Although a few other people commented on it, it was mainly mr duleys version that was out there on the forum. I think that as an editor Duley thought he could re-write history and come out smelling like roses. Maybe in his mind, but that doesn't alter the truth.

Tony Halberg told me personally that he only ever made 4 or 5 Vais copy brakes for Duley - that is not a production run, and is basically insignificant. The rest is history.

My apologies to Dale for what has turned into a bit of a post hijack, but I just though it needed to be clarified that it was not in all probability a genuine Vais brake.

As for Mr Duley - the truth always comes out eventually. Sometimes it just takes awhile.