Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is Your PLB Locator Beacon Registered?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes It Is

52 94.55%
  • No It Isn't

3 5.45%
  • It will be now, having read this post.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is your Personal Locator Beacon PLB registered with Maritime NZ?

Anyway of double checking details and the like
    Work Just Gets In The Way

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post
    [SIZE=3]40% of beacon activations over the Xmas - New Year period were not registered and so that makes Search and Rescue (SaR) and lot harder if not impossible.
    @CooeeBay , can you qualify the bit about a SAR operation being complicated to 'impossibility' by an unregistered PLB.
    I don't see that as being realistic and assume there is an obligation to respond to distress signal whether registered or not until it can be proven to be a false alarm. Obviously a GPS encoded and registered PLB makes for a far quicker and more efficient response.
    I wonder if other outdoor pursuit communities aren't as informed, or they just get into a disproportionate amount of trouble than compared to the forum poll so far.
    I can see someone who is gifted a PLB being less inclined to follow through with registering it possibly.
    CooeeBay likes this.

@CooeeBay, I stand to be corrected, but I am of the understanding that SAR as the Fire brigade etc is compelled to follow up on any signal/alarm etc that is activated. I also wonder how many of the unregistered activation's were from visitors to our county? There are alot of trampers/bikers/boaties etc that visit this country and are not required to register their units and can still have confidence that SAR will follow up any of their activated beacons. Have you ever questioned the disparity in prices charged for the same type/model units between our countries?
    I personally believe beacons should be heavily subsidized by the Government so all outdoors lovers can own or rent one for very little under the proviso that they are not issued without prospective owner details being supplied. How many thousands of man and machine hours are wasted each year trying to find lost (sometimes not) persons without beacons?
    birch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    @CooeeBay, I stand to be corrected, but I am of the understanding that SAR as the Fire brigade etc is compelled to follow up on any signal/alarm etc that is activated. I also wonder how many of the unregistered activation's were from visitors to our county? There are a lot of trampers/bikers/boaties etc that visit this country and are not required to register their units and can still have confidence that SAR will follow up any of their activated beacons. Have you ever questioned the disparity in prices charged for the same type/model units between our countries?
    I personally believe beacons should be heavily subsidized by the Government so all outdoors lovers can own or rent one for very little under the proviso that they are not issued without prospective owner details being supplied. How many thousands of man and machine hours are wasted each year trying to find lost (sometimes not) persons without beacons?
    I've asked RCCNZ for some more stats to clear up a few of your questions. Re pricing - only the local trade will know the answer. I saw the pricing variance going back 5 years ago on one of my many holiday trips & business visits and could never comprehend from a marine rescue volunteer point of view how such a piece of rescue equipment could be so highly priced compared to what we were using in Coast Guard / Australia - hence why I do, what I do now .. to quote one NZ buyer - making it affordable for the "working man" - end quote.

Re government subsidy - not sure about that one when you consider both in marine and on land the money spent on equipment to partake and enjoy the respective outdoor activity e.g. 4x4 vehicle, boat, nav gear, fishing gear, rifle, camo, ammo etc etc.. What's $300 in comparison to the total $ pot. Re the casual tramping - maybe so in areas of heightened risk... JMO.
    Peter Hackett
    peter@cooeebay.com
    +61418776862

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lehndorf View Post
    Anyway of double checking details and the like
    Give the RCCNZ a call:

Rescue Coordination Centre New ZealandPO Box 30050
    Lower Hutt 5040
    Fax: +64 4 577 8041

406registry@maritimenz.govt.nz
    Roy Lehndorf likes this.
    Peter Hackett
    peter@cooeebay.com
    +61418776862

@CooeeBay, I stand to be corrected, but I am of the understanding that SAR as the Fire brigade etc is compelled to follow up on any signal/alarm etc that is activated. I also wonder how many of the unregistered activation's were from visitors to our county? There are alot of trampers/bikers/boaties etc that visit this country and are not required to register their units and can still have confidence that SAR will follow up any of their activated beacons. Have you ever questioned the disparity in prices charged for the same type/model units between our countries?
    Not sure that your use of the word `wasted` will be appreciated by the many volys out there doing it. But I do kind of get what you mean.
    As per govt subsidy on PLB....no. We already have a free SAR service in NZ which I understand is not the case in many countries.
    Forgotmaboltagain

The subsidy could reduce the time that voly's have to spend (wasted)searching for lost people that don't have beacons. Can anybody tell me why it costs $200 to register a PLB from Aus in NZ as quoted to a mate when he went to register his one? He works and hunts in both countries
    Last edited by Fireflite; 26-02-2016 at 10:52 PM.
    CooeeBay likes this.

The subsidy could reduce the time that voly's have to spend (wasted)searching for lost people that don't have beacons. Can anybody tell me why it costs $200 to register a PLB from Aus in NZ as quoted to a mate when he went to register his one? He works and hunts in both countries
    If it is coded for Aus then it should just me registered in Aus. If activated the details will still be available to SAR here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gadgetman I agree, but, SAR NZ want them rego'd here! For the free price of $200! I appreciate @CoeeoBay comment re- pricing "only the local trade will know the answer" but I don't believe that is the full story.

I would suggest your mate was actually told that he would have to have it recoded for NZ and then he could register it with the RCCNZ as they will only register NZ units, NZ residents. The local agents are charging the $200, not the RCCNZ for the rego. Registration is a free service. If he travels between the two countries, he can register on-line it with Canberra and they would hold the contact details. If it was activated in NZ, then Canberra will tell NZ the details, meanwhile Wellington will be aware of the activation as there are currently (more on the way) 3 satellite LUT's (Local User Terminals - ground stations) in operation: Wellington - NZ, Bundaberg Qld & Albany WA - Au. Both rescue centres work very very closely with each other when it comes to monitoring the satellite beacon activations.
    Pengy likes this.
    Peter Hackett
    peter@cooeebay.com
    +61418776862

Thanks for the info. So he has to reg it in Canberra as it was purchased in Australia and this will be good for NZ? So if it is activated in NZ and he is obviously here, SAR will then try and contact the Australian address not the NZ address he will be residing at, at the time?

Great reminder Peter. I've registered mine and I lost it! Luckily a lovely Police woman found it on a track and phoned the RCC and I've got it back in my pouch. This time it's clipped in. I have it in a pouch on my belt as sometimes you take your pack off...
    Reminds me of another story, a guy I know fell down and bank in the Kaimanawas (or somewhere around that way) and his pack, with his beacon, was ripped off his back; he was found two days later with some broken bones.

If I offend anyone, too bad, but if you work or hunt alone in the bush and don't have a beacon/PLB you're a poor decision maker. 😀

Thanks for the info. So he has to reg it in Canberra as it was purchased in Australia and this will be good for NZ? So if it is activated in NZ and he is obviously here, SAR will then try and contact the Australian address not the NZ address he will be residing at, at the time?
    Register an Australian purchased/coded beacon with AMSA Beacons - Australian Maritime Safety Authority
    You can provide them New Zealand contact details.
    Any world wide activation of an Australian coded beacon will go to AMSA, they then contact the local authority (RCCNZ) to effect the search.

I'm in a similar boat, my work PLB is registered with Australia, I have a note in the comments asking that if I activate it outside of New Zealand they contact my employers Sydney office instead.
    I don't want a stranger phoning my wife in the middle of the night and worrying her for something work related.

On the Au registration site, your mate can upload a "trip plan"and images of boat / vehicle, telling SaR where he will be and the duration. He could update also his emergency contact details in either country. Too many NZ owners get fixed on this "it only works in NZ" - Wrong - these PLBs transmit to a global satellite network, so they will work around the globe.

Check out this link: COSPAS-SARSAT
    Peter Hackett
    peter@cooeebay.com
    +61418776862

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post
    On the Au registration site, your mate can upload a "trip plan"and images of boat / vehicle, telling SaR where he will be and the duration. He could update also his emergency contact details in either country. Too many NZ owners get fixed on this "it only works in NZ" - Wrong - these PLBs transmit to a global satellite network, so they will work around the globe.

Check out this link: COSPAS-SARSAT
    Excellent info, thanks Peter. I will get my mate to check out this post.