Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: $1000 bang for buck general purpose scope

$1000 bang for buck general purpose scope

I'm looking to put a scope on a .308 which will be my one centrefire rifle to do everything that a rimfire shouldn't. I don't have binos or a rangefinder, the budget simply won't allow for them for another year or so but I do recognise the importance of accurate rangefinding. For shooting in all kinds of bush, and on the tops as well as a spot of long range target I think a 4-14x/4-16x or thereabouts gets the job done, and I like the simplicity of working in Mrad over MOA.

So, what is working reliably in the bush? Set and forget capped adjustments or exposed turrets and dial up? I'm given to understand once you go exposed tacticool knobs things like locking turrets and zero stops cost a bit more but offer less room for mistakes.

Is first focal plane a bit of a wank, because while the subtensions remain accurate at all magnifications you can't really see them at the low end?

Is a BDC reticle any use without a spotting scope?

Is an adjustable parrallax a godsend or just a pain because it's never set in the right spot when you're in a hurry?

I'd like to go illuminated reticle but I recognise that comes at a price point probably outside my budget.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

without rangefinder,forget all the fancy knob twiddly bits.....you are still guessing so may as well sight in 3" high at hundy and shoot to estimated 350 or stalk closer.....
    buy a good loopy 3x9 or 4x12 and a good set of binos....the binos $300-400 leaves you $6-700 for scope.... long range targets are at known range...so twiddling with knobs can be done with std scope....you just have to write down what you do....or set ring so you remember where zero is,or better still both.
    Brian, Bagheera, tetawa and 6 others like this.

MB
    Bang for buck, H&F (name is mud on this forum) were selling Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS Turret for $860 a little while ago. Even at full price, I think it's a good scope. Personally, I don't think parallax adjustment is important for large game at normal distances. A BDC reticle isn't going to be very useful without a rangefinder.
    Bagheera, ebf and Micky Duck like this.

ebf
    Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS Windplex

I would no worry about paralax unless the scope goes over 10 x magnification.

2 inches high at 100 yard, and you are set for most bush hunting you'l ever do.

Dialup without a range finder is a waste of time. If you are going to be hunting tops, get a range finder.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

Dialup without a range finder is a waste of time. If you are going to be hunting tops, get a range finder.
    This. About the best bang for buck hunting scope you will find.

No to parralax not important for shooting deer at normal ranges.

The 4-14 are closer to 5x than 4 and are a bit much mag in the Bush imo. 10 power is heaps out to 400m.

Also you can get a perfectly functional and use able rangefinder from aliexpress for about a hundy bucks. Few blokes on here use them.
    BRADS and MB like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post

Also you can get a perfectly functional and use able rangefinder from aliexpress for about a hundy bucks. Few blokes on here use them.

Good point. SNDWay.
    Rocco likes this.

Three things: First, good on you for recognising that you have to invest the bucks in getting a good scope .

Second:what's a typical long shot for you?

Third: Google "Maximum Point blank Range", have a read and a think. It might be a help in understanding what you'll really need in a scope.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    without rangefinder,forget all the fancy knob twiddly bits.....you are still guessing so may as well sight in 3" high at hundy and shoot to estimated 350 or stalk closer.....
    buy a good loopy 3x9 or 4x12 and a good set of binos....the binos $300-400 leaves you $6-700 for scope.... long range targets are at known range...so twiddling with knobs can be done with std scope....you just have to write down what you do....or set ring so you remember where zero is,or better still both.
    What he said.

When scanning and looking , holding a rifle up and using a scope for long periods is simply a pain. You will find more with a decent set of Binos. As for the scope, Pick up one in the $400-$700 mark and get a reasonable set of Binos.

As mentioned above, setting your scope 2-3 inches high at 100 will see you hitting the engine room of a deer anywhere out to 300 or more without needing a range finder. I use the "clock" method. Picture the "kill zone" on a deer as a 11 inch circle the size of a clock. Aim at the point halfway between the centre and the 12. If you set your scope as mentioned your shot will stay within that clocks circle as long as your aim is good.

Between the muzzle and 120M you will be between your aim (red) spot and the top , 120m-200m you will be between the top and the centre. 200- about 300 you will be between the centre and the bottom. Then you wont need a range finder for a while yet as most of the cheaper ones dont go much further than that.....Or if you can gauge that the animal is less than 200 metres aim at the centre and lift it to the red circle if you feel the shot exceeds 150m as there is a margin of error there for your estimation.

Name:  clock method.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  19.4 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    I have a Kahles CT 3-9x40 here for sale

$900

A reliable scope with excellent glass

Know your rifle and ammo trajectory and it will work well for the distances you mention
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

It makes me very nervous to be out hunting, and seeing someone looking at me through their scope rather than binoculars. It has happened a couple of times now, the last time it took alot of self control for me not to go over and wrap his rifle and scope around his head. Don't be a cheap cnut bout it mate.
    ebf, mikee, 257weatherby and 9 others like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

MB
    I use my $100 SNDWay rangefinder for "spotting" on farms and bush. It has a 7x magnification. Obviously, the glass is total crap and low light performance is basically non-existent, but it's better than nothing and I don't want to be spotting with a rifle scope. I will upgrade a some point, but for now, it's OK.
    Rocco likes this.

Suggest the following:

Scope ($300 - $400)
    Wait and hunt for a second hand one among the likes of Leupold VX2, Bushnell Elite 4200, Weaver Grand Slam. Magnification 3-12x is a good range. I prefer simple capped adjustments in the bush for durability. Adjustable parallax is nice in the open when you have time to set up and adjust, but adds too much complexity in the bush in my opinion.

Binoculars ($300 - $400)
    Vortex Diamondback 8x42 is perhaps your best bet at this price point. Broncos in Tauranga has the cheapest deal.

Range finder ($300)
    Something like the Nikon Prostaff 7i should be adequate. I got mine from the US for about $280 NZD landed. An Import Permit shouldn't be required as a range finder is not considered to be "part of a firearm".

This way $1000 will cover all the gear you need without making much compromise on performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    The 4-14 are closer to 5x than 4 and are a bit much mag in the Bush imo. 10 power is heaps out to 400m.

What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

When scanning and looking , holding a rifle up and using a scope for long periods is simply a pain. You will find more with a decent set of Binos. As for the scope, Pick up one in the $400-$700 mark and get a reasonable set of Binos.
    And dodgy as fuck. If I see some dirt bag glassing with a scope Ill call the cops on him... Its dangerous. Its breaches the first rule of always treat the firearm as its loaded. The people you don't see and point the rifle at don't know your not mistaking them for game.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    It makes me very nervous to be out hunting, and seeing someone looking at me through their scope rather than binoculars. It has happened a couple of times now, the last time it took alot of self control for me not to go over and wrap his rifle and scope around his head. Don't be a cheap cnut bout it mate.
    This this this
    timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.

Personally for that money I’d look second hand or buy an S-TAC from Reloaders.

I’ve made the mistake of buying cheap optics in the past and instantly regretted it.

Buy the optic you want. Save for the rangefinder you want. Enjoy using your stuff....

But that’s just me.
    Bagheera likes this.

H.M
    Vortex daimondback binos 10x42 $380 awesome value for money. SNDWY rangefinder of aliexpress $120 leaves u $500 which will get you a solid vx1 or something better 2nd hand. Zero at 200 yards. Sorted for most situations.
    timattalon, Bol Tackshin and jono7 like this.