Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: $1400....What would you get?

$1400....What would you get?

So I'm looking to replace the .270 Husky with something a little newer and more traipsing round the hills friendly. I've been doing some research and there's a hell of a lot of options so thought it might help to get some ideas from guys who've used different gear.

So the question is this. What would you buy if you had $1400 to spend on a bare rifle, synthetic and preferably stainless and why's that you choice? and just to throw a spanner in the works, NOT a Tikka....

Use is for deer, goats out to 300m in scrub country

Any feedback appreciated!

I'd be looking at the Ruger M77 .260 I saw this morning for sale, alas it doesn't have the skeleton stock or I'd own it....

To be honest there is so much to choose from,I have 5 Ruger M77 from old to new, damn good solid and reliable, all SS mixture of skeleton, carbon and laminate stocks... I'm a Ruger fan but I certainly think worth you while looking at the M77 Hawkeye...

Savage Arms

.308. Add a muffler.

Get a price from Giles at Taihape Sports
    buzzman and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    I'd be looking at the Ruger M77 .260 I saw this morning for sale, alas it doesn't have the skeleton stock or I'd own it....

To be honest there is so much to choose from,I have 5 Ruger M77 from old to new, damn good solid and reliable, all SS mixture of skeleton, carbon and laminate stocks... I'm a Ruger fan but I certainly think worth you while looking at the M77 Hawkeye...
    Think I'd like to stick with .270 or .308, keep the whole ammo thing easy! What kind of accuracy are you getting for your Rugers, I've heard mixed reviews

closeish to your budget, just pretend its not a Tikka..... http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...77/#post531988

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Savage Arms

.308. Add a muffler.

Get a price from Giles at Taihape Sports
    How are they without the Accustocks, I've been looking at the Weather Warrior because they have them.

Savage make nice rifles, think I'd go for a Savage over a Remington. Savage make a nice rifle for the price.
    Ruger American and Howa 1500 are a bit cheaper, but still get good reviews. Kimbers and Sakos are a bit nicer but more expensive.
    CZ makes a nice rifle but not sure they do anything stainless.

Sako own another company that make great rifles that are a bit cheaper but still use their barrels. Can't remember of the name of them, but they seem to be pretty popular.
    Light weight, accurate, nice triggers, synthetic and stainless, can get cracking deals on Trademe for a 2ns hand barely used one.
    Bryan and turner nz like this.

Go into a few shops and look at Savage, Howa, Remington, Marlin, (tikka), Sako, Browning, ... There are heaps. Pick whichever feels the best to you and you'd like to walk out of the shop with.

As far as the Savages with/without accustock. I have both here and in terms of accuracy in the field I cannot tell the difference. At the range they both seem to have the same accuracy.
    tetawa and mikee like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by NakiNewbie View Post
    Think I'd like to stick with .270 or .308, keep the whole ammo thing easy! What kind of accuracy are you getting for your Rugers, I've heard mixed reviews
    All within an Inch at 100m, this is the .300 under 1/2in at 100m

But hey anything should group well at 100m

Had a .270 ended up turning it into 6.5x.284, love it good and versatile, flat fast and works out to 500m, .270 was always a good grouper from factory, few about on TM, even for lefties...

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, paid $1700 for mine but @Timmay got his a bit cheaper so you might be able to shop around.

A pleasure to carry around, factory cerakoted, bansner high tech stock, so light as.

Easily shoots around an inch with factory 180gr power points, seems to be tightening up as the barrel breaks in too, my zero check at hunt last week was under an inch with no rear bag.

The others are good too, just something to consider.

You won't really go wrong if you spend $1400 on a bare rifle.
    sako75, mikee, deer243 and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, paid $1700 for mine but @Timmay got his a bit cheaper so you might be able to shop around.

A pleasure to carry around, factory cerakoted, bansner high tech stock, so light as.

Easily shoots around an inch with factory 180gr power points, seems to be tightening up as the barrel breaks in too, my zero check at hunt last week was under an inch with no rear bag.

The others are good too, just something to consider.

You won't really go wrong if you spend $1400 on a bare rifle.
    That's a good looking bit of kit, definetly something to consider!!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    All within an Inch at 100m, this is the .300 under 1/2in at 100m

But hey anything should group well at 100m

Had a .270 ended up turning it into 6.5x.284, love it good and versatile, flat fast and works out to 500m, .270 was always a good grouper from factory, few about on TM, even for lefties...
    Thanks, will have to have a play with one when I get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by NakiNewbie View Post
    So I'm looking to replace the .270 Husky with something a little newer and more traipsing round the hills friendly. I've been doing some research and there's a hell of a lot of options so thought it might help to get some ideas from guys who've used different gear.

So the question is this. What would you buy if you had $1400 to spend on a bare rifle, synthetic and preferably stainless and why's that you choice? and just to throw a spanner in the works, NOT a Tikka....

Use is for deer, goats out to 300m in scrub country

Any feedback appreciated!
    if you don't want a tikka I can't think of any other rifle in that price bracket worthy of wasting your money on.
    just stating the facts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Blaser, HUNTY and 25/08IMP like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

X-bolts are definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    if you don't want a tikka I can't think of any other rifle in that price bracket worthy of wasting your money on.
    just stating the facts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Haha I was expecting that. I know Tikkas are farking good at what they do, just really don't float my boat for some reason!