Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10/22 build questions

10/22 build questions

Howdy all

I've had plenty of 22's over the years, and a couple of 10/22's and really enjoy the light cheap fun they offer. I currently don't have a functional .22 in the safe and I am keen to get another. Initially I thought i'd just get a .22 conversion kit for the AR but I think now I want to build a decent 10/22 as a bit of a project.

Initially I was planning to get the cheapest second hand one and then get a bull barrel and a decent trigger and a nice stock, but now I've found the KIDD receivers and an NZ made option from Gun city for similar money. What's everyone thoughts on each? The KIDD ones have a proven record and I haven't seen anything bad about them, what about the Gun City ones here? Alternatively, am I better off getting a second hand gun and swapping barrels and putting a trigger kit in it?

I like the idea of building something as I can spend a little bit at a time (read that as hide it from the wife) and come out with something better in the long run, plus its something to tinker with, I initially thought i'd get one of the $149 recievers GC sells,. but, i'm not sure they are going to be very good quality, can anyone offer an opinion here?

Got the coin go Kidd. Quality.Tried a fully kitted one. Impressive.

res
    I cant comment on the gun city recievers as have no experiance, but I very much doubt anyone who could afford it has ever regreted buying a Kidd
    Using Tapatalk

No contest, KIDD.
    And I don't even own a 10/22.
    @300CALMAN
    Welcome to Sako club.

csmiffy likes this.

USA Guns Ltd
    Daren will sort you out.

My recommendation is to get as much KIDD as you can to start. In the following order:

1. Barrel - They are Lothar Walther then hand lapped by KIDD, stupid accurate.
    2. Trigger - Best 10/22 trigger I have tried.
    3. Springs - Relatively cheap and are better made than the Ruger IMO (nothing wrong with Ruger, just better). Springs are actually important in a blow back firearm as they hold the round in during firing.
    4. Action - Probably not as crucial (OK I have a standard one) but you can have a nice KIDD one for $50 more than the fancy Gun Shitty one, no brained decision if you want a fancy auction.
    5. Bolt - OK so my one is standard, don't see the need for a fancy one EXCEPT i recon they do need an upgraded extractor. Why? Tight chamber in a KIDD barrel makes them get a bit unreliable after a 100 rounds or so..

OR just buy a KIDD

My mongrel bitsa is in a Magpul hunter x-22 stock. OK so it's a bit tacticool but cant beat it for fit.
    Paddy79 likes this.

Thats the stock I want to use as well. The KIDD action is up there, but it's not out of reach, however the trigger is insane though, it's a lot of money for a 10/22. At a glance a KIDD 10/22 is almost as much as my ar without a the scope rings! Damn, i might have to rethink the whole kidd catalogue

Yeah don’t build it’s expensive buy a factory kidd seems expensive but betime you buy all the parts for a build you will spend more trust me

By the time you replace everything that you want to upgrade on your 10/22 you could have enough for a proper nice 22 like a Weirauch, or Anshutz or CZ....just my 2c. Thats not to say you wont have a nice 22 but there are other options that dont need everything replaced to start with...Or buy the Kidd. Or there is another one that makes a toggle action up Nelson way but cannot think of the name of them.
    northdude and systolic like this.

personally just buy an Anshutz and be done no fuckin around just done.
    timattalon and systolic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    Thats the stock I want to use as well. The KIDD action is up there, but it's not out of reach, however the trigger is insane though, it's a lot of money for a 10/22. At a glance a KIDD 10/22 is almost as much as my ar without a the scope rings! Damn, i might have to rethink the whole kidd catalogue
    The stock fits me extremely well. But it has spacers so you can adjust it how you want.

I was lucky with the trigger, A friend brought it back from the US. My action is a $50 Ruger original from a GunShitty auction. The bolt an a pile of magazines came from brownells.

All up it wasn't nearly as expensive as a KIDD rifle and came with the stock I wanted. But then I just purchased the bits I wanted, people who buy a stock 10/22 and upgrade may end up wishing they had purchased the whole rife to start with.

I had a really nice bolt action 22 savage with heavy barrel etc before and got bored of it. Very accurate with a nice trigger but heavy and not great for hunting. The KIDD barrel I have is the alloy sleeved variety (16.5") so I use it for everything. It's light, accurate and semi.

If you go Kidd you will need to look after it
    A cut short 1022 with a Timney trigger is nothing to be sneezed at
    Sold my model 2 brno because the accuracy was equal between the two (excellent) and I need Guns I can use (abuse)
    Solid rings and a decent scope are worth factoring in

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    By the time you replace everything that you want to upgrade on your 10/22 you could have enough for a proper nice 22 like a Weirauch, or Anshutz or CZ....just my 2c. Thats not to say you wont have a nice 22 but there are other options that dont need everything replaced to start with...Or buy the Kidd. Or there is another one that makes a toggle action up Nelson way but cannot think of the name of them.
    I agree if you want a bolt gun
    If you want a semi a 10/22 (heavy modified) or a factory custom like a kidd is by far the best option
    My kidd would outshoot most Factory bolt action’s and on par with target rifles out to 50m ltleast
    I shot mine in interclub Competition against guys with flash anshutz target rifles etc etc
    And I wasn’t at a disadvantage they both shot on par with a good shooter
    Blisters likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    the trigger is the first kidd part you actully need, the other parts are just nice to haves in comparasm
    Using Tapatalk

What are/were the factory 10/22 target jobs like-apart from trigger of course?
    Seem to remember them coming out within 6-12 months of buying my stainless one back in the mid 90's. I was spewing as I would've stumped the extra for one.
    Mind you I did machine the breech face back (and the corresponding amount on the barrel shoulder) to allow the bullet to just engrave/center on the rifling in an effort to quasi tighten the looseish chamber. Machined up a nylon buffer pin-had to the right size wasn't around
    That was a PITA but not many around kiwiland back then. Good scope mounts too so no dramas there.
    I loctited the barrel in as well. Back in the day when I grouped it trying out ammo it would put Winchester power points between 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 50. depending on where I put my head as the weaver 2-10 on it has a little parallax. If I did my part it always hit what I wanted. Never blamed the gun that's for sure