Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toby

Thread: 12ga ammo for idjits

ebf

12ga ammo for idjits

Please help...

Is the 2 3/4 or 3 1/2 the length of the shell ? Do longer shells have more powder or more shot or both ?

The 28gr or 36gr etc, is that the powder load ? So 40gr is like +p pistol ammo! pretty hot ?

The number like 5 or 7 is shot size, higher the number the smaller the shot ?

So if I want a mild recoil 12ga shell, do I want 28gr ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Pretty much all correct except the 28gr is the shot weight in grams, so yeah, lighter will be less recoil.

Just on the length, be aware that 3 inch rounds will fit in a 2 3/4 chamber but should not be fired as there is no space for the crimp to open and can spike pressures. Longer shells have more charge and, shot weight can be selected.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What are you wanting to shoot?
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    Possums and rabbits

Around no 4 ? Lead ?

What do you use for ducks etc ? Around 7, steel ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Anything will kill rabbits, cant go wrong with #4's

Not sure about everyone else but I use #3 steel and thats good for anything. Geese,ducks,parries,rabbits,goats whatever jumps in front of us really. Its a good all rounder. In my 20g I've used #4-#5 lead an its been really good too this year on ducks and geese which surpirsed me as I thought #5 might not tip a goose over in a 20g.

Normally use 36grs #3 steel in 12g we find it the perfect all rounder but we buy a slab each of trap ammo since its cheap for pigeons rabbits and what not after the gamebird seasons over.

I'd think you'd have to be close to get a decent kill with#7 steel. Never actually seen steel that low only 2-3-4 in shops here.
    ebf likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yeah, mate 4 or 5 lead will me sweet for bunnies and possums, just use the lightest load 28g will be fine.

Rule of thumb with steel is go 2 sizes bigger than what you use in lead, so I use no.2 steel for ducks etc.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

36gram 2 3/4 #4 shot
    36 grams is the lead weight, 2 3/4 is the length and #4 shot bieng the size
    #4s are good for most things, and 2 3/4 are usually the cheepest
    3 inch and beyond are for long range shooting of geese and things and cost is quite a bit higher

check what your gun is chambered for, usually its printed on the side of the chamber or on the barrel somewhere and check you have a half choke or less before shooting steel
    also if its a real old girl then get it checked to see if it can take hi pressure modern ammo

for possums I use no:3 lead shot 2-3/4 I think there 36gm loads sometimes buckshot or slugs for fun if the the spot im hunting is safe to do so