Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By Huntfisheat

Thread: .17wsm rimfire

.17wsm rimfire

I vaguely remember some blurb about this round . Any body use one , can I rechamber a 17hmr ( obvoiusly not my marlin 917 as the only bolt locking is the bolt root ) ,or rebarrel a brno rimfire ? (I have a model 2 with a shattered stock and I see boyds only do a bull barrel stock so a rebarrel to fill that barrel channel )
    Went to h&f today to check out 17hmr ammo ( only had 17gn ) and spied the .17wsm , 20gns @ 3000fps dont sound to bad . :-)
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

Yep had a couple of them. Great round and heaps of fun. Not sure about rechambering if I remember correctly I read a thread on that somewhere and there was a warning about significant pressure differences.

Always wanted one but never got there
    You cant rechamber a rimfire except possibly the remington types that had bolt with front locking lugs. Cant remember the model.
    Way to much pressure
    Theoretically you could rechamber a H&R. In fact for a short time you could get barrels for them in the US.
    This was.something a seriously thought about
    Rifle choice is limited with one of the best options being the savage but in a decent bedded stock.
    They have a shitty plastic mag.
    Tried one of these over 2 years ago with the help of a very generous forum member.
    Only at the range but shot well enough.
    Ammo isnt that much more than the 17hmr
    Accuracy isnt as golden as the smaller round though
    Read far more reports of poor accuracy but again this could be bedding in a lot of cases

I wouldn't bother unless you wanted a semi auto which is very spendy.

17/22 hornet or 223 is better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I wouldn't bother unless you wanted a semi auto which is very spendy.

17/22 hornet or 223 is better off.
    To a degree yes they are. Rifles are cheaper (ruger midels) and more to pick from.
    17wsm mmo is still a little cheaper.
    It's a prick of a round really. Needs a proper strong action but still a rimfire. 17hmr could be easily done on a 22wmr action so easy peasy.

Put some serious thought into getting a ruger 17wsm, didn't end up getting it. One thing that out me off it was 'no rimfire on doc managed land' (without permit) and had a 17hmr so made do with that

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I vaguely remember some blurb about this round . Any body use one , can I rechamber a 17hmr ( obvoiusly not my marlin 917 as the only bolt locking is the bolt root ) ,or rebarrel a brno rimfire ? (I have a model 2 with a shattered stock and I see boyds only do a bull barrel stock so a rebarrel to fill that barrel channel )
    Went to h&f today to check out 17hmr ammo ( only had 17gn ) and spied the .17wsm , 20gns @ 3000fps dont sound to bad . :-)
    I use the two 17's either side of the 17WSM, thats the 17Hmr and the 17 Hornet (centrefire). 20gr Vmax at 3700 fps!! I can reload the 17 Hornet for the same price as buying 17Hmr rimfire ammo. The 17 Hornet is a pretty cool little cartridge. But if you didn't reload the 17WSM is prob a good way to go.
    Nesika likes this.

Fulla
    I'd buy one if I didn't have hmr

The Jard AR-platform 17wsm is about as close as you can get to a pre-ban AR on A cat these days.

https://gunsnz.com/index.php?route=p...roduct_id=5093

I have one for work. Utterly deadly. $40 for 50 rounds where i get them from.
    Superb varmint round.
    csmiffy and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    I have one for work. Utterly deadly. $40 for 50 rounds where i get them from.
    Superb varmint round.
    Yep , I had a remmington XR100 in .204 , absoloute tackdriver
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .