Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NZShoota

Thread: 1903 Springfield

1903 Springfield

Anyone here use one much?,its a rifle that has always interested me but not something we see too often here in NZ.

Good ones shoot quite well but they are nothing more than an 'Americanised' 98 Mauser. Genuine '03's are well made but the 03A3's are a bit agricultural. The M1917 Enfields are a stronger rifle.

I agree the 1917 would be a much stronger action...but the 03 appeals to me more regardless.A pity the ones that came here during WW2, seem to have been shipped out of the country later on,they would have made very nice shooters and collectibles for us down here.

Not to mention one of the very few US service rifles that are still legal to own.....

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I agree the 1917 would be a much stronger action...but the 03 appeals to me more regardless.A pity the ones that came here during WW2, seem to have been shipped out of the country later on,they would have made very nice shooters and collectibles for us down here.
    The 17's are brilliant. Heavy, but that soaks up the recoil. Great sight radius. You get a bonus 6th round in the magazine. Bloody long with the stabby attached and they have steam punk look to them.

I've got an 03A1 and an 03A3 (plus another couple in parts waiting for a rebuild/restoration). Both shoot well and comfortable to shoot. I prefer the sights on the A3 with the rear aperture and slightly longer sight radius...must be old age setting in.

They are starting to come out of the wood work and appear in auctions. There's at least one (03A3) in the next Ted Rodgers auction if I recall correctly.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    There's at least one (03A3) in the next Ted Rodgers auction if I recall correctly.
    If thatís the one at Southwards in Oct, then yes, and a handful of Model 1917ís.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

A cobber of mine has a superb sporter built on one, its not a "custom riflemaker" level build like a Shellhamer or Griffen and Howe, but definitely follows the style they established. The result is an exceptionally nice sporter that looks good, carries well and best of all, shoots great! I wish I had a picture of it . . .

The rifles in military trim are the ones that appeal to me most....think I am going to have to find myself one.

The coned breech gives really slick feeding. Coupled with the extremely fine front sight it makes for nice shooting set up. Then if you can find an 8x Unertl...
    The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt. Prov 12:27