Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602

    2 point ''Tactical' sling

    Hi all,
    I am wanting to buy a 2 point sling for my hunting rifles/target rifle.
    I currently use a home made shooting sling or normal carry sling, but I tried out a TAB gear PRS sling and liked it whole lot better than my DIY jobby.

    Wanting to know if anyone has experience with the Tab slings, a Magpul MS1 or a Vickers Tactical sling?
    I'm not into the whole tactical scene, but a quick adjustable carry and shooting sling looks like it'll be the ticket.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    416
    Hi I have an Armageddon Precision rifle sling. They have some great features. At first I thought a bungee sling would be a bit naf but they really do make a rifle easier to carry. The self tightening arm loop is also very easy to use. I have limited rotation QD swivels on the end that stop your sling getting twisted up. Its a great product and a terrific company to deal with. I have a suppressor cover coming that was custom made for a Zigliani that took them 3 days to make and get shipped.

  3. #3
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    Do you find that you use the arm loop much?
    Or do you tend to just use its hasty sling style (not in the loop)?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,482
    I use a FTW sling that can be converted into a single point sling with arm loop. In practical matches I have only used the arm loop once that I can remember. I do also very occasionally shoot NZDA 4 position events and I use the single point sling in these. In a practical shooting match that involves some sort of positional shooting (i.e. not supported prone shooting) using a good sling is an advantage. The FTW sling has a bungee portion - I like it but haven't used any of the competitors slings.

    I also have some TAB Gear and they make excellent products. I doubt you could go badly wrong with their PRS sling.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

  5. #5
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    @Gillie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    I use a FTW sling that can be converted into a single point sling with arm loop. In practical matches I have only used the arm loop once that I can remember. I do also very occasionally shoot NZDA 4 position events and I use the single point sling in these. In a practical shooting match that involves some sort of positional shooting (i.e. not supported prone shooting) using a good sling is an advantage. The FTW sling has a bungee portion - I like it but haven't used any of the competitors slings.

    I also have some TAB Gear and they make excellent products. I doubt you could go badly wrong with their PRS sling.
    Do you think you would miss the arm loop if you didn't have one?
    Seems most sling makers offer options with and without the arm loop. Like you said, doesn't seem to be practical for practical shooting matches.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,482
    I doubt I would miss the arm loop in practical matches. If I was buying another sling just for practical matches then I would look at one without the arm loop.

    That said, I don't see many people using a sling effectively in practical matches anyway. It is a bit like supported positional shooting - basically no one practices it... and so far we haven't set a sufficiently difficult match with targets small enough to really show that effective use of barricades and two point slings is of a measureable advantage.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    416
    I recently shot the Otorahanga shoot that Simon ran. I used the sling loop not to great advantage however with prictice I can see it being helpful. Given the option I would pay a bit extra to get a loop.

  8. #8
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    Do you find the bungee section a must have?

  9. #9
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    @Dermastor what limited rotation Qd swivels do you have?
    Are the swivels themselves limited rotation or is the mounting what provides the limits?
    How much rotation do you still get?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Do you find the bungee section a must have?
    Personally, I like the bungee section. Typically you have to break your position to tighten the sling I like that I can get it close and then stretch my position and let the bungee tighten. Or I can tighten the sling and then use the stretch in the bungee portion to get into position. The bungee portion wouldn't be essential I don't think but I like it.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

  11. #11
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Personally, I like the bungee section. Typically you have to break your position to tighten the sling I like that I can get it close and then stretch my position and let the bungee tighten. Or I can tighten the sling and then use the stretch in the bungee portion to get into position. The bungee portion wouldn't be essential I don't think but I like it.
    I have over the last few days made a sling to replicate both an arm loop style Armageddon sling and a non-arm loop one, must say that the arm loop provides much better support but I despise having to try get in and out of the bloody thing! The non-arm loop whole body wrap around is a lot quicker and more comfortable and I found I could shoot just as well with it despite a little less support.

    After a few days of tactical magpie shooting and shooting targets with my 22lr I am 100% convinced that a good tactical/shooting sling is a must have for PRS type shooting and even a must have for hunting. I wasn't able to create a bungee section, but I tend to agree that the bungee would be handy in that you can keep the sling quite tight all the time and use it to stretch when using it in seated/prone/kneeling positions.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    416
    @Beetroot the bungie is not esential but it greatly reduces the felt weight of carrying a rifle. I carry my heavy varmint rifle slung horizontally across my shoulders with the sling mounted from the left front of the forestock to the right rear of the buttstock it is very comfortable to carry long distances. I am using Grovtech Flush cups I ordered from the States. Its the cup the limits how much the sling can twist about 15 degrees I think.

    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...8bhqiuGrMWp9FQ

  13. #13
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,602
    @Dermastor cheers for that, I'll need flush cups for my rifle so will get those Grovtec ones.

    Can you tell me what the webbing width your Armageddon uses. Is it 1.5"? If so you use 1.25" or 1.5" swivels?

    I'm pretty sure I'll get an Armageddon sling, might just get the Carbine one and modify it a bit.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    416
    @Beetroot mate I'm away in Fiji on holiday till Sunday will let you know when I get back.

  15. #15
    Member SlimySquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    @Beetroot the bungie is not esential but it greatly reduces the felt weight of carrying a rifle. I carry my heavy varmint rifle slung horizontally across my shoulders with the sling mounted from the left front of the forestock to the right rear of the buttstock it is very comfortable to carry long distances. I am using Grovtech Flush cups I ordered from the States. Its the cup the limits how much the sling can twist about 15 degrees I think.

    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...8bhqiuGrMWp9FQ
    Mate, where did you actually buy those from?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Slip on Rifle Sling/ Harnessed Sling
    By forrestwood in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-10-2015, 04:22 PM
  2. So the point is...
    By EeeBees in forum Trial, Pedigree and Bird Dogs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM
  3. WTB: 2 point sling for AR15
    By Shamus in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-07-2014, 04:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!