Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: 204

Looking at ditching the 308 for a 204 as a truck gun.

Mostly shooting coyotes, skunks, racoons and possums here in the US. And the occasional deer which 204 is legal for in this state. Obviously only if a very sensible shot presents itself.

I have my sites set on a CZ 527 but cant seem to find one...

What are the howas like? Trigger, stock, safety? The stocks look shit to be honest.

Anyone else make a wood stock one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Take a cz or a tikka over an howa if you can.

Like you said, the stocks are s***. Bulky and heavy but the Howas do shoot straight.

You can always change the stock for a Boyds...

I've just picked up a Ruger No.1 stainless laminate, another option to look at...

CZ 527, I had one in .223, awesomely accurate and nicely made, no plastic. Bolts can be a bit gritty but get better.
    Tikka would make a good work horse, again on average they tend to be very accurate out of the box.
    Howa, they handle and feel like shit for me but have a solid reputation as a good rifle.

My buddy has a .204 Tikka varmint and that thing is unbelievable accurate and impressive. Dunno how windy it is where you are but don't expect high resistance to wind drift. At under 300yds if it's not blowing too hard, you'll be happy. The bullets get there very quickly and plenty of splat factor with the 39s!

Ive bought a shitty second hand Remington 700 stainless, but hey it key holes with Hornady and Ruger ammo, so I'm not griping, the 8-32 Nightforce makes it easy, better than the last Tikka 223 which was very poor accuracy wise with factory ammo and I don't have to look after the stock. Paid $850 with shit loads of ammo, dies and 50 primed brass.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I am not sure how americans feel about Tikka. But the Howa stocks can vary depending on which stock you get. They usually have Hogues or similar as their standard offering but there are Boyds, Richards Microfit, and others as aftermarket options. The one big advantage Howa has over the Tikka that everyone raves about here in NZ, is that all the Tikkas are a long action. So the bolt draw length on the 204 or 223 is the same as a 300 win mag. But the Howa now has a mini action in 204 that is much more compact and worth looking at. You will see the Howa over there also as the Smith and Wesson 1500 or the Weatherby Vanguard. All three are the same company of manufacture.

Saying that, I do very much like the CZ and they are worth waiting for.
    .22-250 everything, 57jl and viper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I am not sure how americans feel about Tikka. But the Howa stocks can vary depending on which stock you get. They usually have Hogues or similar as their standard offering but there are Boyds, Richards Microfit, and others as aftermarket options. The one big advantage Howa has over the Tikka that everyone raves about here in NZ, is that all the Tikkas are a long action. So the bolt draw length on the 204 or 223 is the same as a 300 win mag. But the Howa now has a mini action in 204 that is much more compact and worth looking at. You will see the Howa over there also as the Smith and Wesson 1500 or the Weatherby Vanguard. All three are the same company of manufacture.

Saying that, I do very much like the CZ and they are worth waiting for.
    Imagine that... i just found a 22-250 tikka at the local pawn shop for $400!

Back to my old tricks just the one gun for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Imagine that... i just found a 22-250 tikka at the local pawn shop for $400!

Back to my old tricks just the one gun for everything!

Sweet. Down this way, due to the popularity, 2nd hand Tikkas seem to sell for nearly the same as a new one......Sounds like you are sorted.

If you reload just think of the saving, no 2nd set of dies, no different projectiles, powder, cases or primers. Why that alone will make the new rifle practically free.
    .22-250 everything likes this.

Is your tikka a t3? Take a look at Ernest the gunsmith spring kit for them. I think he is based in California .google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    If you reload just think of the saving, no 2nd set of dies, no different projectiles, powder, cases or primers. Why that alone will make the new rifle practically free.
    Exactly.... might as well buy a new stock... i think a boyds laminate will look sharp!

The cool thing here is i can make it all tax deductible as pest control