Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lau lau
  • 1 Post By POME
  • 1 Post By Chupacabra
  • 1 Post By optio

Thread: .204 Ruger

.204 Ruger

A question for those in the know. Is the .204 cal suitable for use on goats? The reason i ask is i want a small game rifle and want to get the kids using it also. I have read that there is less recoil with the .204 (my reason for considering this cal) compared the a .223 cal which is my other maybe.

I reckon it would be ok.

204 is fine for goats at sensible range, however DOC hunting permits specify .222 or bigger so you are technically not allowed to use a 204 on DOC land.

In reality any difference in recoil is negligible, and there is a much greater variety of 223 ammunition available at lower prices so I'd just go for a 223.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    204 is fine for goats at sensible range, however DOC hunting permits specify .222 or bigger so you are technically not allowed to use a 204 on DOC land.

In reality any difference in recoil is negligible, and there is a much greater variety of 223 ammunition available at lower prices so I'd just go for a 223.
    This.
    plus if you need to the 223 can be supressed [as of course can the 204]
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yep. ....I had a 204 a few years back was my fallow and goat rifle just used 45gr hornady sp.....

just saw it's a .223 if your applying for a doc permit, I question this with a doc worker and just got a shrug of the shoulders reply.

ammo is more expensive and Rifle is ahas more a of a Crack with the faster projectile.

can't beat the .223 for ammo price.
    Danny likes this.

Thanks. A suppressed .223 it may be.
    Danny likes this.

I find 204 is like a laser for accuracy, reasonable range and fricken awesome at gutting, turning inside out/skinning rabbits. I'd worry that the more lighter Vmaxs may not penetrate enough for bigger animals.
    POME likes this.

Was out shootin wallabies bout a month back, daughter shot one at 200 yards with 32grain vmax dropped it on the spot, as said above shoot like a laser but expensive to run compared to 223.
    POME likes this.

.223 all the way.
    204 is an awesome little beast but........ less choice in rifles chambered for it, .223 you can go from single shot to AR mil rifles and everything in between
    more expensive ammo and less variety in .204
    heavier projectile weights available for medium sized game, goats and deer in .223
    recoil similar so kids and wife can shoot with ease, suppressor a must.

The .223 is cheap to run and being a NATO round and shot around the world it is a very sorted accurate and effective calibre, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    .223 all the way.
    204 is an awesome little beast but........ less choice in rifles chambered for it, .223 you can go from single shot to AR mil rifles and everything in between
    more expensive ammo and less variety in .204
    heavier projectile weights available for medium sized game, goats and deer in .223
    recoil similar so kids and wife can shoot with ease, suppressor a must.

The .223 is cheap to run and being a NATO round and shot around the world it is a very sorted accurate and effective calibre, I highly recommend it.
    Yes i think .223 it's going to be. Now just have to fund what i want.