Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 2 Post By hotbarrels
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 2 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: 22-250

22-250

Hi Guys just wondering what your thoughts are on a 22-250 for a girl to shoot iv got a 223 here but was thinking it could be nice to have something a little different do they have much recoil & how much more range/wallop do they have over a 223 ?
    Cheers.

Minimal additional recoil. My 12yr old shoots mine without a moments hesitation.
    The 22-250 will definitely out pace the 223 in all respects down range, but at the expense of barrel life if pushed hard or run hot. I grab the 22-250 over the 223 whenever the shooting ranges break the 200m mark or when the wind gets up. There is a noticeable improvement in down range hits on rabbits. The extra speed also makes your hits more 'explosive'.

I put a mates 10 year old behind my old Ruger M77 22-250 weekend just been, he is a little fellow for his age, he had only shot subs through a .22 twice previously (completely new to rifles basically)
    Laying prone with a bag as a rest he hit an ice cream container lid at 25M. And asked a few minutes later for another go. Not suppressed, ear plugs in. He was put off by the noise of a .308 used afterwards. (Not by him)

Thanks for the info always wanted to give a 22-250 a go & if I get one for her technically it wont be mine , only down side to it she is a lefty & il need a bigger cabinet ! so what would be a maximum range for deer ? iv shot a couple at around 200 with the 223 but wouldn't be game to take it much further.
    Frosty likes this.

My 20 inch 22-250 is louder than most 308's I've heard unsuppressed. Suppress it anyway and the kids will love it.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Thanks for the info always wanted to give a 22-250 a go & if I get one for her technically it wont be mine , only down side to it she is a lefty & il need a bigger cabinet ! so what would be a maximum range for deer ? iv shot a couple at around 200 with the 223 but wouldn't be game to take it much further.
    Max range on deer is [as per any caliber] a function of bullet selection and shooter ability to place it on target.
    The dilemma with any varmint setup is that you typically select a lighter construction bullet for max explosiveness on small game, which will be totally ineffective on larger animals. You can carry a couple of rounds with heavier, more solidly constructed projectiles with you just in case you run into something bigger, but you then have the issue of differing ballistics which will limit your max range unless you are well practiced with the two loads and can compensate for the different points of impact.

Alternatively, if you are setting it up for medium size game, and you are shooting heavier pills exclusively, then you have way more options which will be very effective on the likes of goats/deer. Something to consider here though is barrel twist rate. Typically the .22-250 twist rates are optimized for the lighter varmint projectiles. If you want to shoot heavy, select your twist rate carefully.
    Boaraxa and WallyR like this.

I've had a 22.250 for the past 40 years, used reloads for nearly all that time, first with 63gn Sierra's and then changed to 60gn Hornady's. Shot deer, tahr, chamois and pigs out to about 350 no problem. And have used it for rabbits and hares a fair bit. They all die decisively with the 60gn projectile. I would suggest you pick a rifle that will handle a decent deer sized projectile, set it up for that and use the same ammo for everything. If you reload, the 22.250 is a dream to reload, and mine is very tolerant of different powders and loads. And so much fun to shoot!
    Feather or Shoot and Boaraxa like this.

Thanks Husky good bit of info there something easy to handle with mild recoil & a bit more range than the 223 sounds great .cheers

I would look into, a 22-250 in fast twist 1-10, both browning and savage make them, or a custom if I buy another.
    a std 1-14 twist is good to about 60g bullet, but short 63-64g ie win PowerPoint, normally shoot ok,
    A one in ten twist, will run up to 80g, gives sum pretty good hunting weight bullets, A-Max, etc.
    I have had two 22-250 and really like them, recoil is light and performance is spectacular, as long as common sense, and correct bullet for task is used.
    Blaser and WallyR like this.

northdude
    Could possibly load a 243 to similar performance and get a better twist rate
    Tim Dicko likes this.

if you get a 1/10 twist try the 69gr hp sierra .i found them a bit hard in my 223 but they could be good in a 22/250

If you can afford to shoot the 22-250 then go for it!

theres no replacement for displacement. High b.c low drag.

Good lighter caliber my wife likes the one I have, excellent on goats and smaller deer like Fallow. I use 55 gr Noslar BT they seem to work fine on anything from rabbits to Fallow deer. If I was to use the 22 250 more on deer I would load something along the lines of a 53 gr Barnes TSX. Wife shot a nice size Whitetail Buck in Canada with the 53gr TSX ...took about two steps and went down with a shoulder shot.
    Micky Duck likes this.