Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Tankd
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: 22 Bedding - Anschutz

22 Bedding - Anschutz

My Annie 1415-1416 is a bit of a pain! It will consistently shoot most brands of decent ammo to an average just a tiny smidge above 0.5" at 50M, and I've done very well with it in several matches, including some with long range targets.

It will often lay down 5 shot groups in the 0.2' and 0.3's, but will it do it consistently - NO. It just puts 3 or 4 in one hole and 1 or 2 "off" the main group. The barrel is free floated.

I have another 22 single shot target rifle that I shoot occasionally just to test that its not my shooting.

So - is it maybe that the bedding of my Annie could be improved?? Has anyone had any luck/made a measurable improvement by glass bedding one (with a '64 action)??

Bedding is unlikely to give you what you are after , you're results are not shabby . The most problematic part of 22 shooting is the ammunition and consistency is the key , sorting the ammunition will give results . Buying quality is the first step and then sorting by rim thickness / weight / concentricty or whatever else works can give the consistency you are after .
    Even with bulk ammo , just for run-out , can give surprising results .
    Ground Control and 10-Ring like this.

Plus playing with screw torques although Anschutz usually recommend a torque. Some rifles are more sensitive than others to screw torque.

Re bedding I can trawl thru RimfireCentral forum to see what's there or even ask the question.

Thanks Guys

I'm on Rimfire central and have looked but without really learning anything specific (currently studying the 50 at 200 thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1129343 - a real rabbit hole) and will probably ask there, but thought I'd try close to home first . . . .

Banned
    From what I've read bedding makes a bigger difference with 22's than it does with centerfires. Harmonic dampeners make a bigger difference again https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...xDg53Zokgq3Q8O

Tentman, i may be wrong here but does your 1415/16 Annie have only one bedding screw holding it into the stock?
    I had a JGA 1450D .22lr that had the same issue and bedding work was the only thing i could get to improve it. However it did not totally fix it so i acquired a couple more .22lrs so as to not be too concerned.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Mine has two bedding screws. I'll have to get "disciplined" about torquing them up and see . . . .
    @Moa Hunter I agree about the tuner but this is also a field/hunting rifle. I'll have a look at the wider 22 bedding thing.

@Tentman Another potential cause of fliers, is poor ignition. Over time the main springs do weaken. How old is your rifle?
    Replacement springs are available for Match 54 bolts, don't know how available for Match 64.

I'm about to get new springs for my M54 and a couple of Walther KKs. Not that I am experiencing fliers it's just that the rifles are quite ancient and it won't hurt, plus the springs are still available.

Re ammo quality. Last year I did a lot of chronographing of the various ammo I use. Like strings of up 50 shots of each.
    The results were quite surprising even for some of the highly rated ammo. Some real bad velocity outliers. Generally though these shots showed up in elevation fliers.

Also doing a lot of 100 yd groups. That sorts out the better ammo.

Re tuners. They will not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You have to have good results as a basis before tuning eg crappy Remington is not going to turn into Tenex by adjusting a tuner.
    Ground Control likes this.

Banned
    I have had a funny / unexpected result with subs in my EM, they all crack trans-sonic through the suppressor so they are going faster than the same ammo in a Stirling and two JW15's. Not that I have shot them over the chrony to see how much actual difference there is. Any ideas apart from hacksaw?
    Re Dampeners, 303's always shot best with a bit of tire tube between the fore-end tip and barrel as a tuner. After watching the earlier link I posted I got to thinking that most 22's would benefit from the rubber dampener

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Most sporting .22LR ammo will have the odd flyer. Some brands are better than others but it can be very batch dependant. One of the reasons quality .22LR match ammo like Eley Tennex and Lapua Midas + is so expensive is the extra strict tolerances and other QC measures that leads to better consistency. Be a bit of a tragedy if a shooter at the Olympic games was in contention for a medal and had a flyer go off into the 7 ring.