Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: . 22 blanks that cycle a semi?

. 22 blanks that cycle a semi?

Hi all, me and a mate are looking at playing a prank on someone, and want to know if there's a. 22lr blank available what will cycle a ruger 10/22 convincingly. I'm sure a ramset cartridge will chamber, but not so sure about feeding in a 10/22 mag, or cycling, or even being safe for that matter. Anyone tried this? We want to make it look like the guy misses with every shot.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

MSL
    What is he going to be shooting at. Could use those birdshot rounds.

ramset rounds dont fit they are too high in diameter. theoretically 22 birdshot is banned by OIC. though above 10-15 meters it wont penetrate human flesh to be lethal though a 22lr subsonic will.

10/22s are a blowback action so going off of Newtons Third Law, I doubt that unless it's firing some sort of projectile then it won't cycle the action at all.
    tetawa, Marty Henry and Finnwolf like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    10/22s are a blowback action so going off of Newtons Third Law, I doubt that unless it's firing some sort of projectile then it won't cycle the action at all.
    Agreed. It won’t work Tommy. What Savage1 is saying, is why the military use blank firing attachments on their rifles when using blanks. It is something to block the barrel to simulate a round ahead of the gasses.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

the military use bfa's as most center fires are gas operated so no "plug " after the gas port = no back pressure. blowbacks are purely recoil operated so providing there is sufficient recoil it should reload. though a 22lr with a crimp after firing may be a little long to reliably eject

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    The words "fit and proper" just appeared after I read that original post.

I dont think now is a good time to be pranking anyone with a firearm - blanks or not .....
    I would say the prank is the old blanks secretly loaded and the victim wondering why there are no holes in the target.
    They must be a TERRIBLE Shot.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Rather than piss around with ammo just adjust the sights so it shoots 6 inches down and 6 inches left, show how you can slot them all in the bull and then watch him try.
    And whats the guts about 22 bird shot, what reasoning is there behind banning it?...only ever used it for shooting rats in huts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    ...........And whats the guts about 22 bird shot, what reasoning is there behind banning it?...only ever used it for shooting rats in huts

NO reason at all .....It is just a flow on effect from poorly written legislation whereby .22 birdshot has been"scooped up" and made "prohibited" because of the dumbos lack of knowledge. To explain, here is a truncated edit of the the "deed".

Arms (Prohibited Ammunition) Order 2019
    Patsy Reddy, Governor-General
    Order in Council At Wellington this 19th day of June 2019
    Present:
    The Hon Grant Robertson presiding in Council

This order is made under section 74A(e) of the Arms Act 1983—
    (a) on the advice and with the consent of the Executive Council; and
    (b) on the recommendation of the Minister of Police.
    Contents
    1 Title

2 Commencement
    3 Prohibited ammunition
    Schedule
    Ammunition declared prohibited ammunition
    v
    v
    v

Multi-projectile ammunition (excluding shotgun ammunition) ammunition that has the ability to fire multiple projectiles in a single
    .shot (for example, duplex ammunition)"

The muppets excluded shotgun cartridges, but overlooked the "mini shotgun" version. the 022 bird shot which, because it is discharged from a rimfire rifle , not a shotgun is not exempted.

That's a bastard, was very handy stuff. Use to use it to shoot shitting pigeons the sheds on the farm. Spotlight them at night. Saved putting a hole in the corrugated iron....just needed eye protection.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    That's a bastard, was very handy stuff. Use to use it to shoot shitting pigeons the sheds on the farm. Spotlight them at night. Saved putting a hole in the corrugated iron....just needed eye protection.
    great for shooting rats and mice in the haysheds, wont penetrate the corrugated iron.
    but this is the BS e have come to know from quickly introduced laws by idiots with no technical background. i wonder if the 22 barrel was smoothbore it could be classified as a shotgun ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Never mind, 38 special cases filled with bird shot will still be the go for the pigeons and rats

Never mind, 38 special cases filled with bird shot will still be the go for the pigeons and rats
    Ummmmmmmm As I know diddley squat about pistols and revolvers so could you explain how I can discharge a centre fire 38 special from my rm fire .22rifle. I suspect that there may be a carbine around that will take that caliber but don't know what it is ...and as for loading bird shot.............Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Ummmmmmmm As I know diddley squat about pistols and revolvers so could you explain how I can discharge a centre fire 38 special from my rm fire .22rifle. I suspect that there may be a carbine around that will take that caliber but don't know what it is ...and as for loading bird shot.............Get real.
    I know squat about hand guns as well, but I have a rifle in that calibre...don't really understand why you would want to discharge 38 in a 22 anyway
    outlander likes this.

Still be illegal though as it's multi projectile rifle (or pistol) ammo. Of course we know you mean roll your own in a cal you have. Getting no 12 shot is a little problematic, 9s will break a window. Voice of experience there