Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: .22 sporter accuracy

.22 sporter accuracy

Hey team,

I’ve spent a fair bit of time at the range this weekend working with a 1962 Annie 1415 .22. Being an Anschutz I expected it to be a tack driver, but after testing the 6 types of ammo I could get hold of, the average 5 shot group size is 29mm at 50m. It’s scoped with a 3-9 Tasco, and has been bedded and the crown freshly cut.
    CCI Mini mag = 24mm (average of 8 groups)
    Fiocchi sub = 28mm
    CCI subs = 29mm
    Eley HV = 30mm
    Win 42 max = 33mm
    Win 40gr HV = 35mm
    I shot 2x 100m groups of mini mag, and got an average of 43mm

I know that it’s hunting ammo, but was hoping it would perform better than this. Should a good sporter .22 REALISTICALLY shoot tighter than this with hunting ammo? All shot from the bench with sandbags from and rear.

To be fair, it was shooting no worse than the Tikka 1x next to it, or the ruger precision .22 with Athlon 6-24 on it that was there also….
    Micky Duck likes this.

Iv got a marlin 925 I think it is with a cheap as back country scope 4x32 it shoots tiny little groups with subsonic ammo but it doesn’t like full power .22 very much at all I don’t even bother with it anymore at 50mtrs it’s little targeted holes at 100 it would be an inch to 1.5. It seems to be really old Remington ammo that came with it that iv not seen since so it’ll be interesting to see if it holds accuracy when I run out and am onto the newer CCI that’s available locally . The only full power loads I tried were a range of Winchester and it was pretty poor. I head shot a magpie and a plover at 75 years the other week and was well impressed with the little subs I feel they lack the power for body shots though but the accuracy allows head shots

Iv got a marlin 925 I think it is with a cheap as back country scope 4x32 it shoots tiny little groups with subsonic ammo but it doesn’t like full power .22 very much at all I don’t even bother with it anymore at 50mtrs it’s little targeted holes at 100 it would be an inch to 1.5. It seems to be really old Remington ammo that came with it that iv not seen since so it’ll be interesting to see if it holds accuracy when I run out and am onto the newer CCI that’s available locally . The only full power loads I tried were a range of Winchester and it was pretty poor. I head shot a magpie and a plover at 75 years the other week and was well impressed with the little subs I feel they lack the power for body shots though but the accuracy allows head shots

I would expect a bit tighter grouping.
    My CZ457 is about 15-20mm 5 shot groups with CCI HP subs.

What was the wind like? Was windy in the Waikato today and I put off going to the range to do some load testing.
    With .22lr even a bit of wind can really open groups up.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I would expect a bit tighter grouping.
    My CZ457 is about 15-20mm 5 shot groups with CCI HP subs.

What was the wind like? Was windy in the Waikato today and I put off going to the range to do some load testing.
    With .22lr even a bit of wind can really open groups up.
    +1 it was blowing a Gail here today even felt a waist shooting the big gun in it

Sounds like it has either a carbon ring (clean it with CLR) or "krusty crown" which is often found on older Annies. Sometimes it'll clean off with steel wool (so quite an aggressive clean) and sometimes getting it tecrowned is the answer.

I'd be expecting it (an Annie) to shoot groups of about 15-20mm at 50 with most ammo and well below 12mm with its prefered fodder.

Cheers
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    +1 it was blowing a Gail here today even felt a waist shooting the big gun in it
    Range is close under the ruahines and was pretty calm. Good range conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Sounds like it has either a carbon ring (clean it with CLR) or "krusty crown" which is often found on older Annies. Sometimes it'll clean off with steel wool (so quite an aggressive clean) and sometimes getting it tecrowned is the answer.

I'd be expecting it (an Annie) to shoot groups of about 15-20mm at 50 with most ammo and well below 12mm with its prefered fodder.

Cheers
    Crown was cut last night, so expect it’s not that. I’ll give the barrel a CLR clean and go from there. Good to know that it should do better.

If the bore is fouled, it won't be hard carbon but possibly lead. I wouldn't run with the CLR on a rimfire. I'd probably give it a decent scrub with std solvent and a bronze brush.

Oh another thing - mainspring consistancy is critical to 22 accuracy and sometimes a bolt guts clean and/or a new spring will work miracles.

What do the groups look like ?? Genrealised splatter or some staying tight and fliers?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    If the bore is fouled, it won't be hard carbon but possibly lead. I wouldn't run with the CLR on a rimfire. I'd probably give it a decent scrub with std solvent and a bronze brush.
    Wouldnt bet on it, I've had at least 2 22's with carbon rings that have responded amazingly to a CLR (or proprietary carbon remover if you want to pay $35 plus for a wee bottle of probably the same stuff). I just did a wee Savage on Friday and the amount of black that came out is astounding.

@Tentman a couple of the best groups. CCI mini mag. Most of the ‘good’ groups look like this.

Bolt is clean and minimal lube. Will need to investigate if this model has the small firing pin return spring that others do. Mine doesn’t have one….

Name:  48BC982A-3EC9-4748-B05D-F92ADB2810A3.jpeg
Views: 461
Size:  321.6 KB

Hmmm - might be a hard one to crack, the ones where there is a group with one or two fliers are thd ones Ive had the most sucess in "fixing" . . .. you can "see" the rifle trying to shoot.

If nothing else works and the rifle is worth it, cutting the barrel back a little at a time is a last resort, you are aiming to find a tight spot for the muzzle.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. It’s good enough for shooting possums under the light, and shoulder shots on bunnies out to a reasonable range.
    I reckon I’ll save my pennies for a fancy new Annie some time down the line.