Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 22 Squib load

22 Squib load

Put a new scope on my little Brno 2e this morning and picked up a box of CCI mini mag when I was in town earlier. This wee rifle has always been deadly accurate and will stack everything on top of each other at 50yds. Anyhow.. went out to sight it in, boresighted by eye then got into it, got it near enough and shot a group, yeap still shoots mint as.
    Then I decided to shoot another group at 75yds, fired first shot, then second shot was just a dull thud, I should have checked the barrel but proceeded instead to fire another shot, the thing actually recoiled unlike a normal 22 and didnt even hit the target fullstop..
    I think it had a squib in it because now its shooting all over the show ( anywhere from 5-10" at 50yds) and when I removed the bolt and look down the barrel I can see this ring that looks like it cuts through all the rifling about 4" from the end of the barrel.
    Tried cleaning etc, ring is still there and really pronounced like something has cut a ring with a dremel from the inside.
    Sound like a squib? Might have to get it cut right back short I think to restore accuracy? Shame as it aint cool chopping up these cool little guns.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Put a new scope on my little Brno 2e this morning and picked up a box of CCI mini mag when I was in town earlier. This wee rifle has always been deadly accurate and will stack everything on top of each other at 50yds. Anyhow.. went out to sight it in, boresighted by eye then got into it, got it near enough and shot a group, yeap still shoots mint as.
    Then I decided to shoot another group at 75yds, fired first shot, then second shot was just a dull thud, I should have checked the barrel but proceeded instead to fire another shot, the thing actually recoiled unlike a normal 22 and didnt even hit the target fullstop..
    I think it had a squib in it because now its shooting all over the show ( anywhere from 5-10" at 50yds) and when I removed the bolt and look down the barrel I can see this ring that looks like it cuts through all the rifling about 4" from the end of the barrel.
    Tried cleaning etc, ring is still there and really pronounced like something has cut a ring with a dremel from the inside.
    Sound like a squib? Might have to get it cut right back short I think to restore accuracy? Shame as it aint cool chopping up these cool little guns.
    Sounds like you bulged your barrel.
    Lucky no other damage as for its size the 22 generates quite a bit of pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Sounds like a barrel bulge. Bugger. You may be able to feel it on outside be running your hand down the barrel. Can happen when oil is not cleaned out of bore too. Only fix is to chop the barrel behind the ring/bulge. What a shame...still it will leave u with more than enough barrel to get a .22 up to full speed.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Cant feel any bulge on the outside, the ring looks like a clean cut about 1mm wide right round the barrel at a point about 4" from the muzzle. Im guessing there was a shit load of pressure and heat at that spot when one projectile met the other. Bugger
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Also... should I be taking that box of ammunition back to retailer in case its a batch issue? Was one of the 100 round bricks and I was only 9 rounds into it..
    10! has 270 divisors

Not a gunsmith or engineer, but if you wanted to save the original barrel profile, but still needed to get rid of the damaged section, it might be possible to drill the rifling/inside of the barrel out for those last 4 inches, so it looks the same on the outside, but just has a slightly oversize bore for that section?
    R93 and Moa Hunter like this.

yes take it back or email the manufacturer with batch number etc...pity to shorten rifle but its no use if cant hit side of cow let alone a bunny.... thread it at same time..should be about $60 to get it done.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Not a gunsmith or engineer, but if you wanted to save the original barrel profile, but still needed to get rid of the damaged section, it might be possible to drill the rifling/inside of the barrel out for those last 4 inches, so it looks the same on the outside, but just has a slightly oversize bore for that section?
    That's a bloody good idea
    Crown should be easy enough but it will be interesting after that.

It will still be long enough for a 22 but sure is a shame putting a bulge in the barrel. Pays to check those duds just in case it's stuck in the barrel.

Get it rebarrelled to something else - 7mm Rem or something.
    Ryan_Songhurst and Stocky like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Get it rebarrelled to something else - 7mm Rem or something.
    A rimfire one?

Gibo and dannyb like this.

Dropped it off to gunworks yesterday, picked it up just now. Super stubby now! Was going to be under minimum length so gunsmith did what @StrikerNZ suggested, cut it down as to minimum length then counterbored the crown which is now about an inch down inside the barrel. Shoots good again
    Name:  20190226_183929.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  7.59 MB
    10! has 270 divisors

As much as it sux to have to cut down such a classic rifle, as long as it's yours it has another story to tell. I'm sure it has loads of stories and memories tied up in it, this is just one more.
    Glad it still shoots good mate

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    As much as it sux to have to cut down such a classic rifle, as long as it's yours it has another story to tell. I'm sure it has loads of stories and memories tied up in it, this is just one more.
    Glad it still shoots good mate
    Theres a 4 month long blank space in its memories where it spent a bit of time hiding in a paddock....
    gadgetman, BRADS, Gibo and 5 others like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

4 months of leaving her out in a paddock; exposed to the weather, without any food or shelter.

Then you feed her shit, to the point she gets severely constipated and requires skeletal reconstructive surgery.

And now you're plastering images of her in her deformed state all over social media.

You'd make a great parent.
    Last edited by Frodo; 26-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    NRT, Gibo, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.