Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 223 howa

223 howa

I've got one put away , $950 with scope and gun bag and threaded for suppresser. Having never fired a 223 will I need a suppresser for it ?. If I go for the package, can get gun works can for$ 345. Or can I get away with a no name cheeper can ? . What's your thoughts please . Thanks in advance , Munsey

Hey Munsey

What are you planning on using it for? A .223 has a fair crack but isn't too raucous and very little recoil to speak of. Only reason for a suppressor would be to keep it quiet.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Hey MunseyWhat are you planning on using it for? A .223 has a fair crack but isn't too raucous and very little recoil to speak of. Only reason for a suppressor would be to keep it quiet.
    Roos and, bunnys .

Your doing well mate, my brother got one here in aus for $960 new and that was a bare rifle. They do really well, we've shot animals out to 300m with it and id back it further if you had the right load and a bipod. We arent legally meant to shoot deer here with any caliber under 270 (politicians) but my brother shot a yearling red hind a couple of months back and it work a treat.

223s suppress nicely. bieng something that you will use alot of rounds thru id suppress it without question.
    gunworks make nice looking simple suppressors, go the low volume one and it wont be too large.
    tuiman also makes suppressors, as do quite a few other people around so have a shop round and see what you like
    try it without the suppressor before you send it away too, that way you get to see the gains

A DPT Mini can could be good. They're cheap too at $200.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I was going to suggest a DPT Mini also - have one on my H&R .223, works great if you don't plan getting it too hot.

video:
    Suppressed VERSUS Non-suppressed - YouTube
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Found them on trade me $200 . So this can fits forward ? . Are they as efficient as over barrel type ? . Cheep enough to take a punt

yes it's a "Can" type
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I've got one put away , $950 with scope and gun bag and threaded for suppresser. Having never fired a 223 will I need a suppresser for it ?. If I go for the package, can get gun works can for$ 345. Or can I get away with a no name cheeper can ? . What's your thoughts please . Thanks in advance , Munsey
    Great rifle, def worth the effort of getting a suppressor. Even for bunnies it'll reduce the booming echo rolling around to a smart crack.

Suppressed .223 shooting Hornady 55gr ammo at rabbits, there's a crack but you can also clearly hear the thud of impact, across the valley. And that ammo is pretty cheap, @$39/50 and shoots very straight.

TBH, spend money well, don't always go for the cheapest as it'll stop you being able to spend more later. I know, kinda Zen
    Dougie likes this.

When I get my range membership sorted again you can come along and try my wifes 223 with and without suppressor if you want to see the benefit (or when we're shooting in the field) I really like the suppressor as others have mentioned its a cal you fire a few rounds with so you dont want it so loud your ears are ringing by the end of the day.
    I have gunworks, I'm not a fan of the cans that only sit forward, they lack the support the others possess for if you have a whoopsie down a bank or slip on it etc

Kscott that is soooooooooooooooooooooooo cool haha!!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

HI, Is it a 1500 or a ranchland???? I know they say they are the same but I beg to differ. My 1500 SS Houge stock can shoot 5 shots into a old 50c piece at 200m using Hornay 55gr ammo. Winchester not so good but still less than 30mm, But shoots like a slug with other brands. Good guns and nice to shoot. Right ammo that suits is a must. A "can" would be an advantage, especially on those roo's as the others will just look around wondering why there mates and suddenly taking a nap.

Awesome guys wise words And cool vid .! . Made my decision howa 1500 with over barrel suppresser , probably gun works ( support local) . Horrihunter may hit you up about a visit to the range as my spot is in lambing . Then well go and tip over some Roos

I've been looking around for a 223 and these Howa's hadn't been on my radar. I handled one of these today and I was really impressed. They feel like a quality piece of kit, and from what I've ready the sound like they shoot well. I think this has made it to my short list.