Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 3 Post By nor-west
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 2 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By gimp

Thread: 223 longe bullets

223 longe bullets

Ok so I've been reading the .223 thread and have decided to get a fast twist .223 to shoot the 80 grain bullets. I would like to get something straight up that doesn't need altered mags or receivers milled.
    So whats the options. I'd like a Browning with the rotary mag but do the 80's fit, The Howa mini is a great but I don't like the extended mag, Savage or any other?

Currently have a Jongmans in .223 with a 1/8 twist which I can't load any longer than 65g gamekings and a 6mm Remington in a 1-9 twist that I want to combine into 1 rifle. What options are out there?
    dannyb likes this.

fast twist 22-250 rem 700...absolute shit loads of room in magazine with 55grn projectiles...would have to be stupidly long to have issues.

Model 7. Finding one might take some work. Failing that a Savage.

Talk to Geoff at the Gunrack he organized a mate of ours a Howa Varminter on a short action - Cory is shooting 80s in it.

Any chance you could place a photo of the Jongmans 223?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    Talk to Geoff at the Gunrack he organized a mate of ours a Howa Varminter on a short action - Cory is shooting 80s in it.

Any chance you could place a photo of the Jongmans 223?
    I'll have a looksee, shoots tiny groups with both barrels a Tikka and a MAD.

Name:  Jongmans.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  5.08 MB
    Last edited by nor-west; 09-10-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and Jaco Goosen like this.

If you use the 77 grn Sierra Tipped they are designed to shoot well at the short 2.3" OAL length of a MSSA mag. That is also the mag length of a short Tikka so they go well out of them (1:8 twist).

If you go to the 80 grn ELDM you need a longer magazine than that. Ive got a couple of those longer mags (from the guy in Aus) to seat the ELDM out further but haven't played with them much yet. You don't need to use a long bolt stop with a Tikka to use them.

The 77 TMK shoot so well I don't think I will persist with the 80grn ELDM anyway. You can have them if you want Geoff.
    nor-west, Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Cheers mate. Beautifull rifle. Ran into another a while ago and I like them a lot.
    nor-west likes this.

I'll tell you something @Jaco Goosen I took it out of Brian's gunsafe after 3 years away ran a boresnake thru it dialed in the 400 yard up and hit 3 out of 3 onto the gong, great NZ craftmanship.
    Micky Duck and Jaco Goosen like this.

Surely you can load the 77 TMK i the Jongmans? Likely has the right length mag.

Anything else to use 80gr like the ELDM or Bergerac does require different mags or modification. Howa mini = aftermarket floorplate, to get about 64mm. Tikka = aftermarket tikka mags or a kit to use AICS mags. Model 7, Howa, Remington 700 = kits to use AICS mags - but factory barrels are generally 1:9 or 1:12.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Ok so I've been reading the .223 thread and have decided to get a fast twist .223 to shoot the 80 grain bullets. I would like to get something straight up that doesn't need altered mags or receivers milled.
    Waters Rifleman magazine from Aus.

https://www.watersrifleman.com/magazines/

I use them in .223 Rem and .308 Win.

Two options for long .223 Rem COAL... 2.400" and 2.600", both available in 6 shot or 10 shot config.

So Tikka T3x in 1:8" twist in whatever config you choose, one of these mags, problem solved.
    Just...say...the...word

I shot 80 gr A-Max in a Savage Model 12 .223 1:7 twist 26" barrel.

My 80gr handloads were too long for the magazine, wasn't a problem as I shot FTR which requires single round loading.