Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NZShoota
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: 22lr ar15 upper

22lr ar15 upper

I have a ruger sr556 and im thinken about getting a 22 upper for it. Does any one own or usee these? Are they reliable?

I've got a .22lr upper I assembled. CMMG barrel and bolt conversion kit with barrel collar.

It runs flawlessly. Only malfunctions have been ammo related.

Great fun. Highly recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    I've got a .22lr upper I assembled. CMMG barrel and bolt conversion kit with barrel collar.

It runs flawlessly. Only malfunctions have been ammo related.

Great fun. Highly recommend one.
    Same here. Mine's got a 16" barrel and runs very well. Accuracy is also very good. I run CCI Std for practice and Winchester Subs for hunting. Mine could be an exception but rans flawlessly with both ammo types. I run either Milspec trigger group or a Giessle. I've tried it with a Jard but it wasn't reliable.

Also got a CMMG factory assembled 20" upper. Not as accurate as the 16" but just as reliable. I run 10 round (deplabked to 15 rounds) Black Dog magazines. Also got a 26 rounder but thats a bit fussy. It is just the mag as I borrowed another and that ran fine.

Summing up. Go for it. Dedicated upper is way better than a conversion kit.

The shop tried the upper on my lower but i use a timney 3 pound trigger an it was a bit light they said any thoughts on that?

res
    Quote Originally Posted by peach fuzz View Post
    The shop tried the upper on my lower but i use a timney 3 pound trigger an it was a bit light they said any thoughts on that?
    Timney triggers won't work well with any .22 upper I have seen.
    There hammer springs are to week. Polishing and lubeing the firing pin and its channel helps somewhat but still not reliable for hunting.

There are much better ar triggers at the same price point as a timney these days, not that it helps those of us with them-I would only replace mine if I didn't have other lowers to run my .22 upper
    Using Tapatalk

Hmm I like the concept but surely a 10/22 is the most cost effective and easiest way around it.
    I'm looking at getting an AR15 to replace my .223 Ruger All American that I just sold, I'm not convinced that a .22 upper is the solution to the 2 calibres.
    So if you were to buy a .22 upper, you would have to change mag and optics ????
    And how would it go with .22 CCI subs, ??My 10/22 works faultlessly with them.
    I wouldn't get rid of my 10/22 its there complete and ready to go, I don't have to dis-assemble and re-work my .223 to .22 and then have to re-set it back to .223
    Last edited by Natatale; 07-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Hmm I like the concept but surely a 10/22 is the most cost effective and easiest way around it.
    I'm looking at getting an AR15 to replace my .223 Ruger All American that I just sold, I'm not convinced that a .22 upper is the solution to the 2 calibres.
    So if you were to buy a .22 upper, you would have to change mag and optics ????
    And how would it go with .22 CCI subs, ??My 10/22 works faultlessly with them.
    I wouldn't get rid of my 10/22 its there complete and ready to go, I don't have to dis-assemble and re-work my .223 to .22 and then have to re-set it back to .223
    Swapping uppers isn't a big deal. Push out two pins remove .223 upper, drop on .22 upper, Push in the two pins, grab the .22 mags and you are ready to go. It will take longer to the load the mags then it will to swap uppers. No need to rezero as you as you have the sights already on the upper (open or scope).

However in your case financially you are probably better to stick with your tried and tested ruger. A second hand .22 upper will set you back at least $600+ scope and mags.
    Natatale likes this.

I'd tend to agree with natalate, stick with a dedicated .22, and if there is spare $ burning a hole in your pocket try something different like a 9mm upper
    Natatale likes this.

9mm upper? Where do i get 1 of those? Iv only seen the 22 uppers.

Hah! There's a million configurations around. 7.62x39, .204 ruger, .45acp, you name it. There's even a Czech crowd making 6.5swedish variants which are as ugly as fuck but I still want one haha. Let google be your friend. Still, for the money, I'd rather just have my wee marlin for a .22
    Natatale likes this.