Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: .22LR rifle suggestions to upgrade from my marlin

.22LR rifle suggestions to upgrade from my marlin

Hi All

Got one of those marlin 925R packages from hunting and fishing a few years back. The trigger on these things is like tugging on a winch rope and even after all the online spring mods it's never really been nice.

Plus the scope and rings are absolute crappers. The rings had some sticky tape in there to hold the scope in place as the rings are somewhat larger than 1"!! I found this out the other night when trying to munt my old nikko stirling in there. Like a sausage in a sock you could say.

Anyway, what's a good 22 to get? I have some spare tikka 1" rings so possibly a tikka T1x could be the way? CZ? gotta be bolt action, 7-10 shot, suppressor-able, with a nice trigger, preferably adjustable.
    About 1K ish

CZ from me. Feels great. Good factory trigger.
    Also have the semiauto and it works a treat too.
    Grey Kiwi and Carpe Diem like this.

I would've said a new trigger would be best but it sounds like you've tried working that I take it?

I want to say a CZ452https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...4?bof=guOJVOSm is a good example I would suggest

I have ruger 1022s but clearly not what you are wanting

I recently compared 4 22s in the "round $1000" mark - the Tikka, CZ457, Ruger American Stainless, and a Savage. I initially walked out with the CZ, but when I got home logic kicked in and I went back and swapped it for Ruger American Target, it ran the nicest, was the smoothest (by some margin) and it has shot well. The Tikka had the best trigger, although the CZ trigger can be adjusted to be as good, but the 10 shot mags on them both stick out, as does the Savage. The Ruger has shot very well, although my all time favourite 22 bolt is still the Lithgow LA101, these come up secondhand for $900-1200. Cheers
    Moa Hunter and Waldo Peens like this.

I haven't tried a new trigger, no, seems unavailable in nz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I recently compared 4 22s in the "round $1000" mark - the Tikka, CZ457, Ruger American Stainless, and a Savage. I initially walked out with the CZ, but when I got home logic kicked in and I went back and swapped it for Ruger American Target, it ran the nicest, was the smoothest (by some margin) and it has shot well. The Tikka had the best trigger, although the CZ trigger can be adjusted to be as good, but the 10 shot mags on them both stick out, as does the Savage. The Ruger has shot very well, although my all time favourite 22 bolt is still the Lithgow LA101, these come up secondhand for $900-1200. Cheers
    @Tentman why did you choose the CZ initially? And why did you swap over for the Ruger?

I like CZs and it was smoother than the Tikka. But the Ruger had a short heavy barrel in a beaut lami ated stock, its balance is way better than any of the others . . . Feels bloody good in your hands, a rifle not a toy!
    Damnitchy and Waldo Peens like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I had a tikka and a Lithgow at the same time as couldn't decide which one to get.
    Lithgow has the nicer action and the tikka better trigger.
    I ended up keeping the Lithgow as I had a 55moa rail custom made which could get me out to 460m.
    Hindsight should of kept both.
    Also rated the cz455 when I had it.
    They all shot about the same with the ammo they liked.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Well, the CZ has that high bolt lift that makes scope mounting a pain unless you can get an old style leupold with a small ocular bell.

If you shoot a tikka centrefire I would have thought the tikka would be best. Interesting that @andyanimal31 didn't keep the T1.

Its not much help at the $1000 price point, I know, but the Sako Finnfire II is elegant, has good trigger and stock.

I can advise on rings. The leupold are small and very nice and Sportsmatch are also highly thought of.

Don't forget the Weihrauch HW60 series
    Maca49, timattalon, 55six and 1 others like this.

The new model CZ457 series have a much shorter bolt lift which has solved the scope mounting issues that could happen with the 452 and 455 series.

With $1000 to spend you've got plenty of great choices. I used a mates T1X for a bit - fantastic tool, great trigger, grip can be changed, 10 shot mag is fairly compact (not flush like a Ruger rotary though). If it came in a laminate stock I would probably have bought one.

I ended up with the CZ457 Varmint which is a heavy barrel version with a wooden stock. Trigger is adjustable and very nice. Shorter bolt lift as mentioned before, now has a shorter travel striker style firing pin so bolt lift is stiffer than a well used 452/455. The bolt knob screws on so you can put on a longer/bigger bolt knob for more leverage. Stu at Greystone has a load of options that fit straight on.

Really you just need to go get your hands on a few if you can find them in shops to see what floats your boat!
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Another vote for the CZ457.
    Mine is the 'At-One' model, with 24" bbl.
    As Steelisreal mentions. These are a new design model. Shorter bolt lift, shorter action, great triggers.
    I went through all this when buying a 'nice' rifle for indoor benchrest.
    I couldn't afford an Anschutz...and the CZ457 ticked a lot of boxes (accurate, reliable, well made). Most models are threaded already. Lots of after-market kit for them too.
    How good is a CZ457? I've shot several cards now, scoring over 100. Best so far is a 100.6 so the CZ457's are certainly accurate enough.
    The Tikka T1x is one I looked at, but online forums mention that the synthetic stock is a tad 'bendy'.
    The Howa 1100 is well made, and cheap enough. Well worth a wee look at too. Wouldn't suit my use, but may suit you.
    For outright precision the Ruger is not well thought of (in the precision shooting forums). Once again, it may suit you anyway.

I really like my 925 marlin. Midweight micro grooved barrel. Shoots very well!
    Trigger is the biggest issue I agree.
    I have done the BIC pen spring trick and that dropped the trigger pull to about 2lbs.
    What I really want for it though is a Rifle Basix trigger.
    mudgripz likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I had the new bergara bolt action rimfire in my hands today. ( h anf Napier)And for 1000$ you get a 5 round and 10 rounds mag, and 30 Moa base. It is factory threaded at 1/2-28. I looks like a serious contender.

Just as side note, the tikka t3 centerfire rings do not fit the tikka T1x as it has a standard 22 rifle rail (11m or 3/8" I believe )

^^ I've fondled a carbon barrel "BMR" model to and it didnt do it for me. The stock and trigger are pretty good, but the way the bolt works is a pig, and even with it gaining smoothnest as it does a bit of work, I don't think it will improve it. The carbon version is very muzzle light, which isnt that good for less stable positions- most of anything actually hunting! The online reviews Ive seen all say they shoot pretty good though.