Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 22LR Subsonic Suppressor, why only subs?

22LR Subsonic Suppressor, why only subs?

Hi All,
    I have a small cheap lightweight sub sonic suppressor (GS brand) on one of my kids 22LR's.

What's the reason it can only be used with sub sonic ammo?

Is it that it does not reduce the noise sufficiently for standard or high velocity ammo, or can it not take the extra pressure from the faster rounds?
    Thanks.,

As far as I know, some of them are just designed with a baffle and spring setup, and can only handle very low pressures. This is probably what you have.

If you wanted one you can use with supersonic, you may just have to look for one with fixed baffles.

I'll open it up tonight and share a picture... thanks.

if its one of the manders copies that gun city sells throw it away immediately, the baffles move to near on 90 degrees and then the next shot the whole thing flies to bits. awful damn things

I got a JW-15 package from hunting and fishing about 5 years ago. It came with a tinny alloy suppressor. I fired a few thousand rounds of Hv stuff including minimags and stingers etc. Never had a problem, a friend brought the same suppressor and on the package said not for HV rounds. If i had of known that i probably wouldn't of used HV rounds but i still use them now that i haven't had a problem.

The silencer gets rid of the muzzle blast noise which isnt much anyway in a 22. It doesn't alter the sonic boom of the supersonic ammo. I often fire subs through my 22s and with the silencer click clack of the action is all you hear. With supers there is a loud crack a bit quieter than with no silencer but enough to upset all the other rabbits.

Ok, pulled it apart, and yes its got springs to keep the baffles apart.
    Its probably had maybe ~400 rounds through it of subs, never put any std velocity or HV through it...
    Name:  20160203_194920_resized.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  298.3 KB

res
    Looks like you could spend very little $ and end up with a much better working can
    StrikerNZ likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Ive had amanders suppresor (spring&baffles)on my toz model17 for 25yrs or more -in factPaul M fitted and i swear by it.has never ever given me one iota of trouble .
    from the man himself annual clean -no need to strip -quicksoak in kero for a couple hours to dissolve gunge -drip dry -blow through with compressor or the wifes vacuumcleaner and ya up and away.Ive euthanised my kids pets in the back yard and its fucking quieter than my airrifle fullstop.

got a jw15shorty with GC copy =put a couple of HV rounds through it recently -one magpie crapped himself in indignation at the slug throwing dirt between his spindly shanks
    kit seems to be doing the job -but if it fucks up we can share grandad between the two .mycenterfires.303,
    &7.62x39 share a .30cal one.

thats the manders copy. bloody awful things. i had one and managed to blow the front right off. go spend some $$ and get something decent

thanks, all...
    this was thrown in with the rifle (Savage Mk2F) I got a few years ago...

Please , biff that can , and get anything else .

I think its a French design originally , and meant to absorb the blast by the baffles being able to move during firing ?? , and yes that happens as you would expect , But the real nasty thing is they move and twist , so they are no longer paralel with bore , and due to that most have a large bore hole , and if they twist too much you will get baffle stike , and can be dangerous .

Rimfire cans are not that expensive , and you will not usually wear one out , I would reccomend , a Parker Hale type , or MAE or Gunworks , all around a $100 , if you want to spend more , either a Ase Utra or MAE 22 mag can , up to you .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Please , biff that can , and get anything else .

I think its a French design originally , and meant to absorb the blast by the baffles being able to move during firing ?? , and yes that happens as you would expect , But the real nasty thing is they move and twist , so they are no longer paralel with bore , and due to that most have a large bore hole , and if they twist too much you will get baffle stike , and can be dangerous .
    Yes a french design from st etienne. I have one that came with my unique, it has 5 baffles with the centre hole being 10 mm.
    Quietest silencer ever for a 22. There is no way the baffles can twist at least in this one, not so sure about copies though. More complicated to make than fixed baffles which is why the style died out.

Fixed baffles are more quieter then spring ones and the bigger diameter ones more so. Have a gunworks stubbie on a sawn off springfield single shot and with whisper ammo all you hear is the smack of the bullet.

res
    The best to my ear .22 can I have had is is a gunworks maxximis sized one with a neoprene cover.

I wonder if anyone has done any serious testing of .22 cans?
    Using Tapatalk