Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 22mag or 17 hmr

22mag or 17 hmr

Am trading my heavy barrel stainless marlin 22mag in at local gun store, brought a second hand m77 all weather stainless 22mag in OK condition home to try out. It shot better groups than the marlin but I feel like I need something else. Wondering about 17cal, have been told they are real tackdrivers, have a far better BC, less wind drift, and importantly better range, and are similar price to run. Any thoughts, info appreciated
    Ya can't park there mate.

I have an anschutz 17hmr and will never sell it. Its a great little round. I won't even touch the 22r these days, unless I want to run subs. The 17 is flat, accurate and deadly

What are you wanting to shoot with it? I just skip them both and go straight to 223.
    gadgetman and JoshC like this.

Mmmm. Fair call actually. I have a rugar 223 Hawkeye that fits the over barrel I use on my 308.
    Might get the cash from selling the 22mag instead and refill the wee piggy bank.

I got the hmr and love it but have not ever had or used a 22 mag so cannot comment on the difference.
    As for 223 v hmr, I have both of those and think they each have their purpose. The hmr is quieter but that's no issue as you have a can. The 223 is about twice the cost to run so if you plan to shot a lot of rounds that might be a consideration. Probably just what you prefer at the end of the day, I consider the 223 as more of a larger game type caliber

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Wind was the biggest hassle with the 17. Ive struggled to get one in 5 on paper at 100m here in a nor wester. For rabbits, hares and even goats it leaves the 22 for dead but if you want meat of a rabbit be careful where you aim.
    Cost is about the same as 223 if you reload, so Ive gone 22, 223 and that covers the bases for me at least.
    JRW87 likes this.

Love my HMR for all things critter related.

As mentioned above, if you're gonna be blasting during the day, you might as well get the .223

I'd highly recommend taking a 17hmr out for a test drive. Chances are you will be surprised how good they are.

I love my little marlin 17hmr w varmint barrel, it shoots like a laser and is outstanding for knocking down hares and turkeys that would just laugh at a 22LR. Same as above, the only time I use my 22 now is shooting subs. I had mine shortened and suppressed by gunworks to take a bit of the crack away and it shoots just as well as it did before but now has the added bonus of confusing hares instead of sening them running.

Love the calibre but in hindsight, for similar money, I would get a savage or a CZ, primarily for the nicer trigger as the marlin one is nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    The 223 is about twice the cost to run so if you plan to shot a lot of rounds that might be a consideration.
    I dunno about that - my 223 reloads are around 60c/shot from memory, you can get cheap factory 223 for a similar price if you buy bulk. Thats about the same as 17hmr in most shops, though you might get it down to 50c/shot buying bulk at some places.

Horses for courses, I just found 22wmr and 17hmr were a bit of an awkward middle ground for me where the ammo isn't cheap as chips like 22LR, but there isn't the power/range/versatility of a small centrefire either.

for those of us that don't reload........
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    I have an anschutz 17hmr and will never sell it. Its a great little round. I won't even touch the 22r these days, unless I want to run subs. The 17 is flat, accurate and deadly
    +1 in CZ
    Muzzleloaders have big balls

Its for daytime shooting and I reload for the223.
    For the odd bit of night work I use the 22lr with a can. Will have to give it all a little thought for a bit, no point rushing to buy anything at the moment as bigger, antlerry things looming right now

I recently got a CZ 452 in 17HMR. Only shot a few rounds but enough to tell me it is altogether a different proposition from the 22. I need to make some room in the safe so let me know if you are interested...it came with mounts and a Hawke V2 high mag variable scope... $750 with some boxes of ammo. I have a RRA 223 Predator, Mauser 201, BRNO Mod2, and Hogue Ruger 10/22 so well covered.

Pm sent