Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dreamer
  • 4 Post By Tentman

Thread: 243 ammo

243 ammo

On the lookout for a couple of packets of 243 ammo-came across some S+B with the Nosler partition in it for a good price.
    Should be alright you reckon? They also had Norma stuff but that was a little dearer-which one people?

Don't know what's accurate in my rifle to be honest lol.
    haven't shot it in years and cant justify dropping 200 bucks on 4 different types to find out.
    My good friend had it for 10 years while I was overseas and he resighted it in with different ammo. Now I have a little of each but bugger all of what its sighted in for so when I try it myself, not a lot left even if its smack on and none if I have to tweak it.
    Pretty sure its federal 100's but that's from a packet from 20 years ago so don't think even if I buy that it will shoot to the same place.

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try different ones...
    csmiffy likes this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try different ones...
    Yup I know, but it just aint going to happen that way. Never did never will unless I get lots more money and more time off lol.
    If I shot more I'd get to try more but cant see that happening either.
    In the old days when I did get out, still never saw much so a packet lasted me years. Only used it up if I was having a play.

I'd just go with the S&B stuff and as long as it shoots "OK" go hunting (as long as its deer size game, "minute of deer" is a bit different to "minute of rabbit"), anything under 50mm at 100M groups will get you deer, goats and similar critters to any range that you don't need to dial for.

Its nice to have a rifle that will bughole at 100 but the two deer I shot at 180M just on dark last evening didn't seem to know that they got got by an elderly Mauser that shoots 40mm groups on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'd just go with the S&B stuff and as long as it shoots "OK" go hunting (as long as its deer size game, "minute of deer" is a bit different to "minute of rabbit"), anything under 50mm at 100M groups will get you deer, goats and similar critters to any range that you don't need to dial for.

Its nice to have a rifle that will bughole at 100 but the two deer I shot at 180M just on dark last evening didn't seem to know that they got got by an elderly Mauser that shoots 40mm groups on a good day.
    @Tentman yes that is pretty much how I have always gone with it. It was old school "pick the cheapest most available ammo" and probably harkened back to the 303 days where you didn't have much choice-unlike today and everything worked pretty much like the other.
    Never did much long range stuff so never got good at it, but the last time I sighted in a rifle was my 416 and the fire forming (2000ish fps) loads grouped under 3/4 inch at 100m.
    Nothing I can skite about but drilling a wallaby across a gully resting on a scrubby bush in the middle of his 3" wide grey chest at 120ish meters is my best shot with the 243.
    Smack where I was aiming and pretty much what it should do.
    Anyway-I always heard good things about nosler partitions so thought this is a good way to try with out reloading.
    They are on sale as normally over 80 bucks from the seller. I would never pay that for 243 ammo.