Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 243 vs 30.06

243 vs 30.06

Hey guy I was just wondering what u guys thought on what rifle I should take over to nz. The styer 243 with 85gr tsx or the sako a7 30.06 with either 180gr ttsx or 150gr nosler ballistic tip?

Banned
    Im a poo 43 lover how ever majority will rule and it will be intersting to see how this pans out you need to say what you might be chasing? it will help the expurts

Id swap the weights in the dirty ought six,130 -150 ttsx for 4y to 400 and 180 balistic tips 300 to as far as you can place your shot.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    What groups best in the 06? Although 180 is getting pretty heavy for here....

Banned
    would the 180 load be a hotty?

If you’re targeting our ''bigger'' animals then the 30.06 will do it with more authority. Animals like Tahr can sure soak up some lead if you're shooting them from far away.

But usual rule applies, use the rilfe that you are most comfortable using, as both calibres will do it all in the right hands.

kj

Oh and I hope you have a great trip over here, best of luck with the hunting, there's plenty of oppertunity if you're willing to put in the hard yards.
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.

Although I use a .243, if I was travelling to a different country I would go with something bigger if I could shoot it just as well.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Hart hunter View Post
    Hey guy I was just wondering what u guys thought on what rifle I should take over to nz. The styer 243 with 85gr tsx or the sako a7 30.06 with either 180gr ttsx or 150gr nosler ballistic tip?
    3006 i love the 243 but the 3006 rules out must variables you may encounter on a visit.

243 vs 30.06

30.06 with 150's will be pretty flat and cope with most situations you will encounter in NZ - maybe substitute the ballistic tips for accubonds though.

I'm hoping to chase reds or tahr. Yer I do most of my shooting with the 243 and it shoots under an inch at hundred and the 30.06 does a inch. I think it's more realistic to take the 30.06 so I might load the hornady sst 150s rather then the nosler ballistic tip. Thanks guys for all your feed back

I'm hoping to chase reds or tahr. Yer I do most of my shooting with the 243 and it shoots under an inch at hundred and the 30.06 does a inch. I think it's more realistic to take the 30.06 so I might load the hornady sst 150s rather then the nosler ballistic tip. Thanks guys for all your feed back

I would avoid the 150SST, I have seen them blow up on a pig shield and not even penetrate the ribs 30-06 is to fast for them... Not seen the 150BT used though so can't say how that would go.
    130 TTSX fast would do some damage...not the best for longer range though... but unless you are dialing for range they would be fine

Although the 243 with the 85gr TSX would still work well for most, in fact all if you placed the shot right
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Re: 243 vs 30.06

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I would avoid the 150SST, I have seen them blow up on a pig shield and not even penetrate the ribs 30-06 is to fast for them... Not seen the 150BT used though so can't say how that would go.
    130 TTSX fast would do some damage...not the best for longer range though... but unless you are dialing for range they would be fine

Although the 243 with the 85gr TSX would still work well for most, in fact all if you placed the shot right
    Il second that

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post

Really? Not criticizing at all but through my 270 the sst 130 gners have given me nothing but praise for the damage they've done on reds.
    Having said that I haven't shot pigs with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    Really? Not criticizing at all but through my 270 the sst 130 gners have given me nothing but praise for the damage they've done on reds.
    Having said that I haven't shot pigs with them.
    270 with its slimmer pill may slip through OK.... the pig just ended up with a dinner plate dish in the side for the first shot....broken ribs but no hole
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good