Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 25-06 build vs .260 model 7

25-06 build vs .260 model 7

Hi Guys,
    After a heli south island trip in October, when my blued 25-06 rifle seemed to rust at the merest hint of moisture, I decided to start looking for a stainless replacement.
    After looking for a couple of months to no avail a Rem model 7 .260 stainless synthetic came up for sale and was duly purchased as a suitable alternative,
    However I have since acquired a 25-06 stainless Finnlight barrel and am wondering about screwing it into a 30-06/.270 tikka T3(yet to be purchased) and just move on the .260?
    I haven't yet fired the .260 so it is still an unknown quantity as to weather it shoots well.
    It will be a South Island Rifle,
    Is there a compelling argument for either over the other or are they too close and either will do?
    Regards
    Dave

just buy a ss 25-06 , iv had a rem 700 mountain rifle for a long time its a good rifle , If you are going to buy a Tikka why not just buy one in 2506 ?
    199p and chainsaw like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

The only thing i would say really hurts the 25-06 is a lack of bullets above 120 grains.The 260 will shoot just as far if not further due to it being able to use heavier bullets . Both are very capable out to 500 yards . Having owned both cals i would go with the 260 , a better all round package but it really comes back to what you like and are happy with .

Banned
    How about cerakote treatment of your blued one
    davhope likes this.

The 2506 is an under rated calibre but very capable of taking all NZ game animals out to sensible hunting ranges. The 25cal is something of a forgotten step child and simply not the range of bullets, especially high BC, pills available compared to 6.5 cal. The 6.5 cal will do everything the 25 cal and more, especially longer range capabilities. So if you’ve got the 260 in stainless, then assuming it’s an accurate rifle and set up, then you are set to go. Put your time and $ into reloading and load dev on the 260 and go use it.
    As stated above if you want a 2506 then better to just buy a TIkka or older model Sako.

GWH
    Yep run handloaded 140gr eld-m's or similar in the 260. As long as it shoots, fit a scope that will dial well and go to it.

I'd say Shoot the mod 7 260. Flick the barrel unless you want to save it for a build at another time and have multiple rifles.. 260 with 140grain high bc pills are what all the cool kids shoot these days.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Why would you turn a 30-06 or 270 into a 25-06?
    veitnamcam, 199p, Bill999 and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Why would you turn a 30-06 or 270 into a 25-06?
    Yip just dumb
    If your buying a rifle to rebarrel to a standard barrel just buy a new one.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Thanks for all the advice fellas,
    Seems the 260 is the way to go, As long as it shoots.....
    199p likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    A quick look at the Gunworks website shows nearly double the number of 6.5mm projectiles compared to .25 cal (49 vs 27)
    Getting hold of factory 260 ammunition can be a problem, neither of the main shops in Hamilton have it, but not an issue if you reload. I don't know if availability of 25-06 is any better though.

I currently dont reload, however im foreseeing a intensive course by an old reloading buddy in the near future regardless of the choice, tho I'm erring towards sticking with the 260.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by davhope View Post
    I currently dont reload, however im foreseeing a intensive course by an old reloading buddy in the near future regardless of the choice, tho I'm erring towards sticking with the 260.
    In the meantime, you can get people to develop a load for it and make ammo for you

I've had both and have used a .25cal for years which is a great cal but limited by projectile choice.
    I now have a couple of .260 which are great although I think it may be a bit handicapped in the model 7 due to their short mag. I run 143ELDX at 2800fps but are seated way out as it's in a Tikka with long mag.
    I used to use Hornady 120 hp in my 2506 at 3050fps. You will need to reload for the .260 to get the best out of it, which ever way you go either are great calibers.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If you are shooting 350 or less just replicate the rounds I gave you to try (if that shot well in the first place).