Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: .270 barrel length and stock modding for suppressor

Cuz

.270 barrel length and stock modding for suppressor

Hey guys. Getting my howa .270 win threaded for a mae suppressor iv got kicking around and im not sure what i should be doing with barrel length. Its currently 24" and cutting it back to 22" would mean the overall length would be the same with the suppressor on but i would need to make about a half inch recess in the stock. Im happy doing this with the houge one on it at the moment but im concerned it might limit stock options if i where to change to a wood laminated one as the forends seem rather thin already.
    Opinions? ?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Being a 270 you would get better performance from the 24" barrel (what's 2 inches). Side note I just cut a laminated stock by a few inches no worries.

Cuz
    From what i gather would loose 50-100 fps which isn't huge but still. It just looks too long to me but in reality i dunno if i would notice carrying it around

Which model MAE do you have, is it an older long one? The new Compact 30 you wouldn't need to do anything to the stock...

On a side my old .270 was 22" and the current spare barrel I have is 22" as well, have worked well enough but as Gibo says 24" will give better performance...

You will notice the weight of the MAE more than the 2 inches of barrel, if its the stainless jobby that is, 750 grams or thereabouts
    Cuz likes this.

Personally I don't see the point of a suppressor on a 24"bbl 270.
    With that length barrel it shouldn't be too loud (nothing like something with a 16-18" bbl) and if it is less recoil you are after just shoot a lighter load. Less powder can reduce your velocity by about the same amount as chopping the barrel.
    Just my opinion, but the 270 is too good a cartridge to stifle with a short barrel.
    veitnamcam, shooternz and Cuz like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Cuz
    Might keep the length then i had some vauge idea that shorter might help my piss poor offhand accuracy but Gibo is right it wont be fuck all. And DoubleShot i think its the older one still stainless tho

Yes, the novelty of carrying around stainless MAE will soon wear off.

Go DPT my son.
    Cuz and JaydenMcN like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

New t12 is 660 grams, the older ones are 750ish. Off hand with that will be fun, it was for me

Cuz
    I shall weigh it when i get home but main reason im putting it on is just to save the ears a bit so if going on any big hunts il probably leave it behind if its too much of a pain in the ass.

Gibo likes this.

They work really well, just a tad heavy for a full time hunting rig imo

That's where the compact comes in, it's shorter and lighter, does a good job though, have a couple for .22-250, .243 and one being sorted for 6.5x.284...

That's where the dpt comes in
    Shearer likes this.

there is nothing worse than a rifle that is way out of balance,if you can, fit your suppressor over the barrel and hold it in place with some insulation tape,and see how that feels when you bring it up to your shoulder, if it feels to front heavy then i would buy a lighter weight suppressor. i wouldn't cut the fore end of the stock,that will only
    de-value the stock and-or rifle if you ever go to sell it. i would cut the barrel back far enough so that you have about 5mm gap between the barrel and fore stock, whether that be 27mm or 36mm it doesn't matter. unless you are going to do some long range shooting the barrel length isn't going to be an issue, ( i use to have a browning bar with a 22 inch? barrel and it still was good shooting out to 400 plus yards) i'm with dogmatix with this one and would get a DPT (i have 5 of them)
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Cuz
    Thanks for all the advice guys will have a play around with it and will let you know how it goes. Already have the suppressor picked it up a few months ago for a price i couldn't turn down otherwise would have looked into weights and lengths a bit more. As far as cutting into the stock with the current one its fat enough I would just be widening the channel and I could make it look nice and tidy but for a wood stock it might not look so clean.