Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 284 projectiles.

284 projectiles.

Currently doing load development for my tikka 284. Tried vld 140s and got around 1moa with 2209 behind it but certainly am hoping for better. Wondering if anyone has had proven results with a particular projectile? It's quite a long throat so the 140s had to be seated right out.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Currently doing load development for my tikka 284. Tried vld 140s and got around 1moa with 2209 behind it but certainly am hoping for better. Wondering if anyone has had proven results with a particular projectile? It's quite a long throat so the 140s had to be seated right out.
    So are you not running a long mag and bolt stop??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeah I am. We had the vlds seated as far out as they could be

GWH
    162gr eldm mate, or 168gr Berger. Ive got a few 168 Bergers you can have to try, i dont have any 162 eldm's (as im still using up the last of the old 162 Amaxs.

If you want to stay a bit lighter, the 140 or 150 gr nosler ballictic tips always go well, but I'd try to stay with the 160gr+ projectiles if you are wanting to make the most advantage of the 284 case at longer ranges.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    162gr eldm mate, or 168gr Berger. Ive got a few 168 Bergers you can have to try, i dont have any 162 eldm's (as im still using up the last of the old 162 Amaxs.

If you want to stay a bit lighter, the 140 or 150 gr nosler ballictic tips always go well, but I'd try to stay with the 160gr+ projectiles if you are wanting to make the most advantage of the 284 case at longer ranges.
    Yeah I shoot the 162 eld-m @2750 out of mine. Definitely stick with the heavier bullets to get the most of the cartridge. I've been thinking about trying the 150 eld-x as well.

2209 will give you accurate, stable loads but will be a bit slow, especially with the lighter pills. H414/win760 has worked well for me
    GWH likes this.

Also I can send you a doz 162's to try if you like
    GWH and cameronjackwhite like this.

160 TMKs go well

+1 for the 150 BTs
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks heaps for the replies, been given some good advice and will continue development this week

I’ve just got my 284 running with 150 NBT and 2209. I would like to try something like the 162 ELD next as mentioned or maybe the bergers. I plan to shoot deer up close with mine so I will need to consider what I’m doing with the more frangible bullets. Would be keen to see how others have got on using these up close on good sized animals?

If you are using it for up close ie 400 and under stick with the 150 BTip or 154SST r even 162 ELDX I have the SST AND ELDX if you want to try some.
    I use the 168 Bergers but that's in a SAUM.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I’ve just got my 284 running with 150 NBT and 2209. I would like to try something like the 162 ELD next as mentioned or maybe the bergers. I plan to shoot deer up close with mine so I will need to consider what I’m doing with the more frangible bullets. Would be keen to see how others have got on using these up close on good sized animals?
    Due to the lower velocity from your short barrel i think you will be total fine running the likes of a 162 eldm or 168 berger even for very close shots. Ive shot red stags with 162 Amax at an impact velocity of just under 2700 fps and the bullet performed very well, so that would equate to about 20 yards if fired from my 17" barreled 284. Shot a red hind with the same bullet on the weekend at 370 yards, once again killed the deer very quickly. The eldm is the replacement for the old Amax.
    Last edited by GWH; 12-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I used 150 Nosler Partition and they were lethal within 300m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quick update, after some questioning on here and some time in the shed I've got the 162 eldx and the 160tmk shooting half moa, nice tight groups. No idea on velocities yet, have to load a few more up and validate at 400 yard range. Just wanted to thank everyone but mainly @r87mm and @GWH for projectile help etc. A heap of knowledgable good bastards on here
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Quick update, after some questioning on here and some time in the shed I've got the 162 eldx and the 160tmk shooting half moa, nice tight groups. No idea on velocities yet, have to load a few more up and validate at 400 yard range. Just wanted to thank everyone but mainly @r87mm and @GWH for projectile help etc. A heap of knowledgable good bastards on here
    Thats awesome Cam, pleased to hear it - I always find i can shoot better groups at 400 than I can at 100 (in moa) so things are looking good. PM and let me know when you're going to head to the range, and i'll try to come along.