Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 284Win options

284Win options

Any factory rifles available in 284win in NZ? I know there are from time to time same rechambered or rebarreled second hands for sale, but if not, what other cost effective options can one consider?

I don’t know of any that come chambered in it from the factory. If you’re after a cost effective option then you would either want to try find a secondhand one good to go or buy a donor rifle such as a tikka 243, 7mm08, 308 and find a cheap remington take off 7mm08 barrel and have it fitted and re chambered into 284. Or if you’re lucky you can find someone who will re chamber a tikka 7mm08 barrel. If you don’t mind having a short action then that opens up other options too but personally I would try keep it on a longer action like the Tikka.

There is a 284 tikka on tm. All load development done and a pretty good shooter by the looks
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    There is a 284 tikka on tm. All load development done and a pretty good shooter by the looks
    Just had a nosy at this, looks like a good buy!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...2731703539.htm
    superdiver likes this.

If my FAL was already sorted I would have jumped onto it, but unable to do anything on TM without a FAL. Already have a 7mm Blaser lined up once everything is sorted, so looking for a bush rifle and would prefer a 284 over a 7-08.

Quote Originally Posted by 300LRH View Post
    If my FAL was already sorted I would have jumped onto it, but unable to do anything on TM without a FAL. Already have a 7mm Blaser lined up once everything is sorted, so looking for a bush rifle and would prefer a 284 over a 7-08.
    What happened to your FAL?
    That 284 on trademe is mine, may be we can work something out. Cheers!

Hi mate. Cheers for getting in touch. Recently moved over from SA, applied before lock down for my FAL and now waiting for the police. Will send you a pm.

If its for a bush rifle, I'm not sure you'd be gaining much over a 7mm08 in closer range bush environment.
    An animal wouldn't know the diff
    kiwijames likes this.

As stated the most cost effective way is to ream a 7mm 08 and do the long bolt stop and mag. I'm currently going the other way with a 24" carbon barrel and ringing everything I can out of the 284. Awesome choice of caliber! That being said there are other factory chamberings that ballistically wont be too different. Each to his own though... its not stopping me

I rechambered a t3 tikka 7mm-08 to 280 rem after seeing another done on here
    It's no problem to do and set back the barrel at the same time so the previous cal stamp is under the stock
    Some gunsmiths simply won't do it because it's hard on the reamer but I had my own ordered in so there was no drama
    In addition to that you need to replace the boltstop if it's the skeletonised type or modify it if it's the solid type, and a new magizine to suit the 284 and you are away

Mitch maxberry done mine and I'm really pleased with the outcome

Dare I say it.

You could buy A second hand Howa long action. Grab a 7mm08 take off Howa barrel from a gunsmith and get it reamed to 284. Just a idea for ya.

I’m selling my 284 on here now. How far away is your licence?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Dare I say it.

You could buy A second hand Howa long action. Grab a 7mm08 take off Howa barrel from a gunsmith and get it reamed to 284. Just a idea for ya.
    what stocks are available for the howa? The grs ones look pretty good. Any lightweight carbon/synthetic ones?

broncos and reloader supplies have some decent stocks for them

Banned
    Thanks, some good options there. I like the look of the action works stock. I see Broncos only have a short action though. 6mm creedmore