Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 3 gun/ multi gun rigs

3 gun/ multi gun rigs

Hi Folks.

Just wanting to see what 3 gun/ multi gun rigs people are running except the shotgun(I have that covered) but mainly what rifle your using as I want to see what other people are using and why?

Cheers

Will depend a bit on what range you want to shoot on and what restrictions they have, some ranges limited to pistol calibres only.

Rifle calibre and anything out to 300m :-)

Banned
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of a complete wardrobe of 5.11 Tactical clothing.

I don't think you're allowed to shoot without wearing at least two items of 5.11 gear.
    Savage1, Banana and norsk like this.

Thats what i run. Theres obviously belts, pouches and mags that accompany the guns and the rifle has a 9" and also a 23" bipod that gets use but its stage dependant. Theres also a trolley to hold all the crap that you need to cart around, that comes into its own on a 2 day match where you will probably use all 3 guns in one day. Rotoruas range comes to mind where theres alot of walking to get to stages. You will only lug 3 guns and ammo around that range once without a cart!

The veprs undergoing a bit of a radical transformation in the next couple of weeks to get it to where i want it. Nothings ever really "finished" and this game can be a money pit.
    Name:  20180817_221222.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  5.45 MB
    muzr257, nzfubz, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    Thats what i run. Theres obviously belts, pouches and mags that accompany the guns and the rifle has a 9" and also a 23" bipod that gets use but its stage dependant. Theres also a trolley to hold all the crap that you need to cart around, that comes into its own on a 2 day match where you will probably use all 3 guns in one day. Rotoruas range comes to mind where theres alot of walking to get to stages. You will only lug 3 guns and ammo around that range once without a cart!

The veprs undergoing a bit of a radical transformation in the next couple of weeks to get it to where i want it. Nothings ever really "finished" and this game can be a money pit.
    Attachment 93238
    Nice.

What length barrel is that AR? What's the max range you shoot it at in 3 gun?

my multi gun rifles and shotgunName:  IMG_20180818_123509549.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  3.58 MB
    Towely, Mathias and Square22 like this.

my 3 Name:  IMG_20180818_122627149.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  3.46 MBgun stuff
    Square22 likes this.

18" vulcan barrel and a bunch of other semi worthless "must have" add ons for 3 gun shooting

Under ipsc rifle rules we will only go to 300mtrs but theres not alot of ranges that have the space to shoot that far. We go to 200mtrs at my club and its not uncommon to use that distance in a stage here. Alot of the clubs running matches like the islands and nats use pistol bays to shoot the rifle stages in, so its close range stuff. They may use mini targets to make it appear like youre shooting further but you dont get the drop and windage effect like the real thing. Putting up a 200mtr+ stage soon seperates the men from the boys and can wreck your rifle score if youre not semi competant at that distance.

My advice is to zero at 200 and not at 50, youll have most bases covered then.
    Beaker and Square22 like this.

18" vulcan barrel and a bunch of other semi worthless "must have" add ons for 3 gun shooting

Under ipsc rifle rules we will only go to 300mtrs but theres not alot of ranges that have the space to shoot that far. We go to 200mtrs at my club and its not uncommon to use that distance in a stage here. Alot of the clubs running matches like the islands and nats use pistol bays to shoot the rifle stages in, so its close range stuff. They may use mini targets to make it appear like youre shooting further but you dont get the drop and windage effect like the real thing. Putting up a 200mtr+ stage soon seperates the men from the boys and can wreck your rifle score if youre not semi competant at that distance.

My advice is to zero at 200 and not at 50, youll have most bases covered then.
    Interesting, that is some cool gear you have.

I have a 13.5" 1:7 twist piston rifle that I was hoping to use for 3 gun, it shoots well for its length and the previous owner said he used it for 3 gun up to 300 meters (I have only shot it to 100m) so hopefully that will work.

Also have an M16A4 clone but I have built that more for service rifle, 20" 1:9 barrel etc probably not ideal for 3 gun as too long/heavy and the twist rate suits lighter bullets (which I heard is a pain for 3 gun as you can't hear the gongs etc that clearly) ?

Shotty I have got is a Mossberg 930 SPX, that will have to do me for a while as I can't afford to upgrade to another shotty at the moment.

Standard Glock 17 Gen 3.
    Last edited by Square22; 18-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Youre all set then. Run what youve got, you dont need to have all the latest gear to be good at this game. Some of it helps but you cant buy skill 👍 get out and shoot it and you might be surprised at how you get on especially if youve got the fundamentals squared away. And that goes for all the shooting sports.

55gr 223 will ring the gongs no problem, i use the hornady stuff in the 50 packet because im too lazy to reload for rifle. Most steels have flashers so you can see when youve made the hit or get the RO to call it, but that can work for you and against you.

If youre shooting a tube gun then learn to reload it fast. If youre shooting a box gun then learn to shoot it fast. (And accurately, make up shots cost time for all guns)

If youre shooting minor rifle then shoot alphas, no matter how long it takes you to aquire the correct sight picture to make that happen. Within reason!

Minor pistol is the same, so is major.

Basically just shoot alphas as fast as you are able to and you will come out golden. Sounds easy doesnt it?
    carlhurley, Beaker and Square22 like this.

Youre all set then. Run what youve got, you dont need to have all the latest gear to be good at this game. Some of it helps but you cant buy skill �� get out and shoot it and you might be surprised at how you get on especially if youve got the fundamentals squared away. And that goes for all the shooting sports.

55gr 223 will ring the gongs no problem, i use the hornady stuff in the 50 packet because im too lazy to reload for rifle. Most steels have flashers so you can see when youve made the hit or get the RO to call it, but that can work for you and against you.

If youre shooting a tube gun then learn to reload it fast. If youre shooting a box gun then learn to shoot it fast. (And accurately, make up shots cost time for all guns)

If youre shooting minor rifle then shoot alphas, no matter how long it takes you to aquire the correct sight picture to make that happen. Within reason!

Minor pistol is the same, so is major.

Basically just shoot alphas as fast as you are able to and you will come out golden. Sounds easy doesnt it?
    Haha yeah sounds 'real easy'.....good thing it's fun!

Interesting.

I was looking for something along the lines of something that's chrome barreled, 16", mid length and popping a hiper fire trigger in it with like a 10" Mlock for end.

Thoughts ?

Dont over think it. If a 16" is comfortable for you to shoot then go ahead. I dont know what a hiperfire trigger is, but if its one that fires a shot on the initial trigger press and then fires another shot on trigger release then its not allowed in this game.

I will say that a rifle length gas system will shoot softer than a carbine length gas system all day long. A mid length is a compromise between the two.

My bores not chrome lined and i havnt run a brush down it in about 3 years, still the most accurate of my ARs i have. Shooting it makes the bore look clean, no?

Handguard length helps fit the gun to your person, anything else is just cosmetic.

A decent brake and a rifle gas system along with a gun that fits you and a useable optic will give you the biggest benefits in ipsc rifle. Theres some argument that a 14" or 16" gun is an advantage in a close range bay style stage but im yet to see that proven here with the level of our shooters.

Ummmm theres no magic sauce, take what you got and shoot it. As you progress you will chop and change a few things to give yourself a perceived advantage, thats the nature of the game. But most importantly, have fun with it!

Oh and if you want to fit something to any of your guns make sure you have a need for it and you know why youre putting it on there in the first place Too may times have i seen beginners turn up to shoot and they have a bunch of wanky shit hanging off their guns and they cant really explain why its there or why they need it to shoot.
    Beaker likes this.

My gats and gear

Name:  AR15.jpeg
Views: 545
Size:  10.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20180430_132850_370.jpeg
Views: 531
Size:  38.9 KB

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk