Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 30-30 with a Oceania Defence muzzle brake

30-30 with a Oceania Defence muzzle brake

Hey guys,

I'm just putting together a replacement for my hunting AR which is now handed in. I'm going to go for a Marlin 30-30 dark which is 16" and pre threaded 5/8x24. I'm repurposing a QD Oceania Defence can and a VX-6 1-6 for it.

I already have the Oceania Defence Cyclone flash hider type Muzzle Device but thought for a 30-30 with a short barrel the two port brake might be better for recoil just if I want to shoot it without a suppressor, especially as my nephew may use this gun as well. I'm probably going to work up a load eventually with those Hornady polymer tip pointed projectiles and try to get the max range out of this rig so the bullet could be on the grunty end of the spectrum for a 30-30.

Has anyone used a muzzle brake like the Oceania Defence one on a 30-30 with this barrel length and if so how bad was the noise/concussion coming back?

Will end up something like this

Name:  images (70).jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  25.3 KB
    Name:  20190922_094042.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  175.4 KB
    Name:  Marlin-Debuts-Dark-Versions-of-1895-336-Lever-Guns-VIDEO-1-e1556531067128.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  33.6 KB

Two port ODL brake
    Name:  20190922_101639.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  233.7 KB

will the muzzle break make it louder?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    will the muzzle break make it louder?

yes
    I know that. My question was how bad it will be with this barrel length/calibre.

You’ll need decent earplugs let’s put it that way or your ears will ring for a long time. I recon an ASE sl5 suppressor would be better. Only 4” long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    You’ll need decent earplugs let’s put it that way or your ears will ring for a long time. I recon an ASE sl5 suppressor would be better. Only 4” long.
    I see, I was looking at those Surefire ear plugs that let some noise in, but stop excessive noise, they seem to get quite good reviews, I'll have to get some. I don't like wearing my electric earmuffs in the bush.

Ase cans are mean, I've previously had two, but I like the light weight of the Oceania Defence can and dont mind the length as it's only 6.5 inches past the muzzle, and the rifle is quite short already. I'm a big fan of the QD system as I've had a surpressor come loose before...plus I already have the can and use it on a few other rifles.

Just use it with a can on it, the balance should be fine.

I have used the sonics a lot with terminator brakes and work fine being the shooter. Not as good if you are beside someone in the blast zone though. The safariland ones are a bit better or the top spec rated sonic. I have worn them all day a lot and a lot more comfortable than earmuffs. Still slow you to hear a bit. Hardy’s did have a digital ear plug style one too, don’t know how good they are.
    308mate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I have used the sonics a lot with terminator brakes and work fine being the shooter. Not as good if you are beside someone in the blast zone though. The safariland ones are a bit better or the top spec rated sonic. I have worn them all day a lot and a lot more comfortable than earmuffs. Still slow you to hear a bit. Hardy’s did have a digital ear plug style one too, don’t know how good they are.
    Thanks mate I will look into them.

With earplugs the rating of 20-30db may not cut a lot of noise out of a braked firearm which can be running 160-165DB+. Also earplug ratings are really only accurate for industrial noise, aka constant background noise. For impulse noise, like guns, scientists still cant agree whether we can even measure it accurately, and generally agree earplug ratings are even less for this sort of noise. Two sets of ear protection( plugs and muffs) dont double the ear rating, they just add 5-8db to the best ear plugs rating. This is because even blocking the auditory canal totally, you still get a lot of noise reaching the inner ear from vibration through the face, teeth, eyes and bones around the ear. Earmuffs with tight clamping force around the ear can reduce some of this vibration. Little kids skulls are about 10db softer than ours as well. Something to keep in mind letting them shoot at ranges with you all day. The amount of shots at a rifle range can expose you to more gunfire in a day than a lifetime of hunting after all. Sorry to be the old lecturer, severe case of tinnitus here, one blast too many with poor hearing protection.
    shooternz, Micky Duck and 308mate like this.

my ears are ringing just looking at that brake....put the can on it...

Gone but not forgotten
    My 16 inch 30-30 is very loud - no brake or can.

I can’t hear a thing you are talking about.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Hmm after these last comments I think I'll stick with the OD cyclone flash hider for now and shoot it suppressed most of the time @Cigar what's the recoil like on your 16" 30-30?
    Last edited by 308mate; 22-09-2019 at 10:40 PM.