Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 300 Blackout Howa 1500 Mini Action + Hushpower suppressor

300 Blackout Howa 1500 Mini Action + Hushpower suppressor

Looking for advice on the combination of the Howa mini action 300 blk + hushpower suppressor.

I;ve been running Hornady American Gunner to break the barrel in and recently tried the new Hornady subsonics.

With the American Gunner, the suppressor doesnt do a great job of actually suppressing. its still an ear splitting crack. I plan on only running subs through this rifle so tried the Hornady subsonic rounds - https://www.guncity.com/300-acc-blac...-rounds-346051

Even with the subs, the report is way too loud, its a quiet, but still a bit of a crack. I run hand loaded subs through my .308 and they are whisper quiet so I have to assume that the hushpower suppressor is a bit of a lame duck. I have the short (maybe 6" 30cal version)

Has anyone else had issues with hushpower. I'm considering ditching it and getting a DPT instead but don't want to shell out $350 if the supression isn't going to improve.

Thanks
    Ash

I’m guessing they are going supersonic, have you chronyed them for velocity? The hushpower suppressors are cheap and tinny a mates one has dented easily.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    I’m guessing they are going supersonic, have you chronyed them for velocity? The hushpower suppressors are cheap and tinny a mates one has dented easily.
    I've not put them through a chronograph yet. the box states that they are 1050fps but that may be in a 16" barrel. the Howa is 18.5 apparently.

Banned
    Chrony is the first step. If they are coming out over 1050 it may be possible to drill some ports in the barrel to bleed gas if you dont want to shorten it more. They need to be 1025 over the chrony max or some will be borderline transonic.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    can you fit suppressor off 308 onto blackout to see if there is any difference.
    I was thinking about this but the thread is different. All I have in the same thread is a 45cal DPT suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Chrony is the first step. If they are coming out over 1050 it may be possible to drill some ports in the barrel to bleed gas if you dont want to shorten it more. They need to be 1025 over the chrony max or some will be borderline transonic.
    I'll head down the range at the weekend and check the speed. My feeling is that its going over the sounds barrier slightly.

If you have a suppressed 308 does the thread match to try that can on the 300blk? If so thats an easy way to check if the hushpower is letting you down. They aren't the best suppressors around, but it may be a combination of rounds being slightly to fast which it looks like you are going to check that. I'd recommend a DPT - the good thing with them is its easy to add extra baffles if you wanted to

I had the same issue with Hushpower in the past, I ended up going with DPT, not because they were the quietest, but because they offered the best reduction and weight for $.
    Its old, but for the most part still relevant, but check out https://d347awuzx0kdse.cloudfront.ne...sor%20TEST.pdf
    It was a NZ based side by side comparison of a tonne of different Suppressors.
    308mate likes this.

Buy some 30 cal baffles for the DPT and try that.

Just did a test fit of the 45 can and it contacts the hiwa stock before its fully threaded on. If i tighten it up its going to be pushing back on the stock creating a real tight contact point. I may file the stock back or get the none overbarrel dpt.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

is the second shot substantially quieter? first round pop is atmospthere in the suppressor flashing as the gas gets a boost of oxygen inside the suppressor

might be that the suppressor is designed for supersonic sound reduction or lacks sufficiant volume to contain the gasses till they slow down.

could just be that sub-X goes closer to the supersonic line and the closer you get the louder it gets too

I think I backed off my 308sub load to roughly around 900 or below, with a full 22 inch barrel and big suppressor. its very quiet

Blunt bullets also make more flight noise, I started with nosler ballistic tips before getting roberts 151gr cast hollow points. ballistic tips are definitely quieter, but expensive and no expansion so I have gone away from them

the sub-x is good easy stuff for non reloaders to get top knotch sub rounds, but at $2.5 each shot its not cheap. I have a lead cast load ill go to once the sub-x is all burnt up.

for the moment tho the sub-x is working really well

Name:  185 pig.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  483.8 KB

last nights 185 pound wrecking machine
    tikka, stingray, seano and 2 others like this.

Hey Bill999 good blood trail there. Did the bullet pass through and through or stop inside?

I bleed everything as much as I can to improve the meat so it was quickly stuck and it kicked around a bit

side on they exit but this one would have probably ended up somewhere in the neck as he was facing me trying to work out what I was. I gave the pig to my nabour so I didnt get to autopsy it myself but it went in the left eye on a very slight diagonal, so probably exited the back right of the skull and went into the neck
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    is the second shot substantially quieter? first round pop is atmospthere in the suppressor flashing as the gas gets a boost of oxygen inside the suppressor

might be that the suppressor is designed for supersonic sound reduction or lacks sufficiant volume to contain the gasses till they slow down.

could just be that sub-X goes closer to the supersonic line and the closer you get the louder it gets too

I think I backed off my 308sub load to roughly around 900 or below, with a full 22 inch barrel and big suppressor. its very quiet

Blunt bullets also make more flight noise, I started with nosler ballistic tips before getting roberts 151gr cast hollow points. ballistic tips are definitely quieter, but expensive and no expansion so I have gone away from them

the sub-x is good easy stuff for non reloaders to get top knotch sub rounds, but at $2.5 each shot its not cheap. I have a lead cast load ill go to once the sub-x is all burnt up.

for the moment tho the sub-x is working really well

Attachment 140934

last nights 185 pound wrecking machine
    nice boar. I use roberts 151gr subs in my 308. i tend to use them to no more than 50yards on goats and hares only. they are quiet as a mouse!