Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 300 win mag

300 win mag

Been in the market for a big stag roar shooter with some long legs for those shots out to 600-700 so went into h&f. Pretty much not much choice of ammo for the 7mm mag which was my choice since thats what most people are running for those longer shots. Basically 300 win mag has more options because apparently not that popular here. So would i be pretty safe with the 300 or am i just been pushed to get one just because thats whats left on the shelf. Any pointers would be much appreciated Cheers

Pretty safe with a 300 win mag? Paired with the right glass, the right shooter, and the right ammo, yes you'd be pretty safe. 300wm is plenty capable of killing deer at those distances.

I wouldn't try and sell you a 243 if you told me you were intent on trying to do so, so no, it doesn't sound like you're being pushed in the wrong direction. I'd pick a 7mm Rem Mag over a 300 if you can get ammo for it though.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I know a guy who is looking to sell a sako carbonite 300win mag,
    He loves it but is looking to rebarreling his go too rifle.
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Pav
    @199p I could be keen on the Carbonlite, have you got any more details?

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    @199p I could be keen on the Carbonlite, have you got any more details?
    Not mine man but still quite new ish from what he said, he scored it second hand but low round count.
    has a can and a brake, shoot well but don't think he has done much load development just found something that went bang.

He brought in on one walk but think its a little to "nice" for him.

if you are going to reload.......which is easier to source components of desirable type for????
    or you may as well buy a 6.5creampuff to sit in the safe as no ammunition for it...no dont do that....
    there was long running debate between Tracy Short??? and Grag Duley on which was better,the big 7s or big 7.62s GD favoured the 7 and TS the other.....
    at end of day it you has to carry it,you have to feed it...and you have to look after it......
    PERSONALY I would go 300 but thats only because Im a true 7mm fan and .284 ISNT it....... .308 projectiles are always resonably easy to find and the options are endless......in dire emergency/shortage you could pull .308 winchester rounds for components...good luck finding enough .284
    Brian, 300CALMAN and MattyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you are going to reload.......which is easier to source components of desirable type for????
    or you may as well buy a 6.5creampuff to sit in the safe as no ammunition for it...no dont do that....
    there was long running debate between Tracy Short??? and Grag Duley on which was better,the big 7s or big 7.62s GD favoured the 7 and TS the other.....
    at end of day it you has to carry it,you have to feed it...and you have to look after it......
    PERSONALY I would go 300 but thats only because Im a true 7mm fan and .284 ISNT it....... .308 projectiles are always resonably easy to find and the options are endless......in dire emergency/shortage you could pull .308 winchester rounds for components...good luck finding enough .284
    Sorry mate but do you mean because GD is a 7mm man then that kinda swayed things more that way? In terms of popularity?Thanks for the info. End of the day a little bit more kick doesn't worry me. And weight is not a biggie
    i dont think ill reload at this stage
    Micky Duck likes this.

300WM is a great cartridge and you benefit from stacks of projectile options and years of factory ammo development.
    dogmatix and Shearer like this.

There is a good argument for suggesting that if you intend to ethically shoot animals out to 600 to 700 metres you definitely should be reloading for that rifle.

Most 300 Win Mag factory ammo should have sufficient energy at that range to cleanly harvest our deer, even big ones. The biggest question is whether you can find a load with a suitably soft projectile that happens to shoot exceptionally well in the rifle you buy, that is also readily available.

Both 7mmRM and 300WM will do what you want. So will some non magnum calibres 7mm or 30cal. (eg 3006 or 280ai or 284win)
    Availability of ammo is fickle & sadly getting worse. Availability of suitable ammo/pill for long range & as op above stated .... shoots accurately in your rifle. Who knows ? This month you might be able to get 30cal, but 3 mo time it might 7mm ??
    Really need to reload for the long range, & even then you get issues with component supplies.
    But before you outlay a bunch of $$, have you shot either calibre ? and in the brand you think you might want to buy ?
    300WM is a significant step up in recoil and muzzle blast over 7mmRM. Stock design, suppressor or brake will all impact this as well. In order to consider shots on game at 400+ yards, the shooter + rifle need to be capable of consistent sub moa accuracy.
    I would make my investment in rifle based on what I can shoot accurately and is pleasant to cart around the hills, rather than the temporary availability of ammo.
    tetawa, Shearer and Steelisreal like this.

Im looking after my son n laws 300wm at the moment.Sales name ( Browning Xbolt Hells Canon 300wm)26in barrel.Buitifull shooter and light to carry).On a good day with a bit of luck i shot a 1 inch group at 400yds on bull,probley never to be repeated.For a couple of k you getting a lot of rifle at a good price.She s a canon using Hornady superformace 180gr ssts,but a deer hit in the sholders at 600yds is not going to get up.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Factory ammo these days shoots great and especially Hornady comes with the same projectiles people run in there handloads.

Ive seen many many times factory ammo shooting way better groups then the average handloaded would be able to roll up.
    BRADS and Steelisreal like this.

Six of one, half dozen of the other - they both throw high BC boolits way out there, and accurately. With the right projectile they will both kill well at longer distances, and likewise they will both miss as well, if you fuck it up. And theres a shitload of other cartridges that are just as capable. Have you had the opportunity to shoot either calibres, in a good fitting rifle? Be a bit of a bugger if you bought one and found that you couldn't handle the recoil, and a 6.5x55 would've done the same job for lot less recoil. Then when you do buy the rifle, its gonna need some good glass on it to shoot way out there, and thats likely to cost as much or more than the rifle. And you're gonna be up for a heap of ammo cos you need to practice, practice, practice to take animals ethically at long ranges. If you would like to try both calibres let me know and I can give you the opportunity to throw lead down range and see what you would prefer, Im not that far from ChCh.

TLB
    I had one for a while, Tikka t3x. Shot well with factory ammo. Shot plenty of deer with it but got sick of the recoil. Plus with the several types of ammo I used in it it didn't appear to kill with any more authority than the .270 out to 650 yards or so which is my self imposed limit.

Bigger suppressor, longer barrel, extra boot. If you were definitely going to be shooting upwards of 650 semi regularly then having a magnum is beneficial but if not, personally I would re think it.

The reason some prefer 7mm mag over the .300 is you have a higher ballistic coefficient projectile for the weight of the projectile. A 162gr 7mm pill has a far higher bc than the equivalent 30 cal pill. So to get the same bc in 30 cal you have to have a heavier pill, hence why the 200 to 220gr in 30 cal are more popular with long range shooters. But the heavier pill driven fast equals more recoil.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Six of one, half dozen of the other - they both throw high BC boolits way out there, and accurately. With the right projectile they will both kill well at longer distances, and likewise they will both miss as well, if you fuck it up. And theres a shitload of other cartridges that are just as capable. Have you had the opportunity to shoot either calibres, in a good fitting rifle? Be a bit of a bugger if you bought one and found that you couldn't handle the recoil, and a 6.5x55 would've done the same job for lot less recoil. Then when you do buy the rifle, its gonna need some good glass on it to shoot way out there, and thats likely to cost as much or more than the rifle. And you're gonna be up for a heap of ammo cos you need to practice, practice, practice to take animals ethically at long ranges. If you would like to try both calibres let me know and I can give you the opportunity to throw lead down range and see what you would prefer, Im not that far from ChCh.
    I haven't tryed either caliber mate id love to give both the 7mm and 300 a try. Iv only ever used a 270win so id say would be a big step up. The 270wim has served me well over the years..and over the last couple years iv had good stags standing abit further then i can stretch without getting busted so thought maybe something bigger would be good, i definitely ain't gonna wait for a animal to be 600-700 then send one towards it..il always try get closer but sometimes it aint that easy. Looking at the wildland tikka veil ithink it called. Cheers husky for the info
    Micky Duck likes this.