Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Leonardo
  • 1 Post By sometimes1

Thread: 303 magazine conversion

303 magazine conversion

I've had some trouble recently trying to source a 7.62 magazine for my lee enfield 308 conversion. most of the suppliers and or surplus stores in US does not supply nor ship to SA.
    I am currently doing my own conversion by modifying my current 10 shot Lee enfield 303 magazine by fitting a metal insert that allows double stack to single feed.
    I hope to have it done by month-end, as I mostly do this at night after work.

I will post pics and hopefully a short video clip to show the actual chambering process.

See you guys soon, and wish me luck.
    Gun nut and Reprosniffer like this.

Waiting with much interest hope it works
    40mm likes this.

Sounds like fun, there is not much leeway in having the feed lips wide enough to clear the bolt and tight enough to stop rounds flying out the top. I made one for a 410 in an enfield, since been bent under our stupid laws

Did one a few years ago using armalite ar10 genuine late model mads that didnt fit the standard modern ar10 . Just slit front of mag till it fits then reweld and bend lips to suit a no4 mag was reliable for 4 shots in a indian no4 enfield . the other option if you can get the brass is use 307 win brass in the mag that way it ejects as well In fact I think the 307 brass works in a no4 mag just check first . We used hornady ftx 160 inthe loads just in case some one loaded them in a win 94 l/a , they sure dropped deer when pushed to lite 308 velocities eg about 2600 fps , think the load was 39 2208 so not to hot for the no 4 .

There is a company in SA that makes some of the best SMLE & No4 mags I have seen, maybe they have some .308 models ?

I had a No4 in .308Win it was crazy accurate & I got a nice mag in from the US (back in the day) but mine wouldn't eject & I needed the type with the ejector on the mag, or so I was informed later !

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Yeah, that's the biggest issue with the conversion mags - they need the ejector added.
    I assume the ejector is a little tab to flick the case out of the boltface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk