Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scout
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Walker

Thread: .303 query

.303 query

I cut my teeth on this calibre and have had a few nice ones, including P.H. and heavy barrelled target variants. The question is, are there still good examples out there or are most shot out?
    My reason for asking is that although I love my 6.5x55’s, there are a couple of No 3 three oh specific comps coming up next year and I’m tempted to take my grey hair to them.

Still some good ones around, even if the bore is dark they can still shoot well !
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I cut my teeth on this calibre and have had a few nice ones, including P.H. and heavy barrelled target variants. The question is, are there still good examples out there or are most shot out?
    My reason for asking is that although I love my 6.5x55’s, there are a couple of No 3 three oh specific comps coming up next year and I’m tempted to take my grey hair to them.
    Greetings Ingrid 51,
    There are some good ones left. It is the finding them that is the problem. They often need some major cleaning before you see what the barrel is like. Even the rough barrels can shoot really well as long as the crown is not worn away by careless cleaning.
    Good luck with your search.
    Grandpamac.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

You do still see the new or near new N04 MK2's pop up on trademe. I got one last year and I know at least one other one sold around the time I got mine.

Had to use that buy back money for something!

I can attest to the odd good barreled .303 around. My one had its original barrell bent in a divorce (long story) and I was fortunate enough to get a new barrel fitted back in 1983. Its probably not had 20 rounds through it since then. The gunsmith had a box full of them however thats a long time ago now and he said to me at the time - get in while I have them - once they are gone - they are gone for good
    Brett

Criterion still make prefit 303 barrels?

Yep got one last year, Steves wholesale has the agency now

Banned
    What did you put it on Walker? I'd like to put one on a nice PH sporter some day for a bit of nostalgia.

re-barreled a No4 MK1* for a replica 4T
    stevodog likes this.