Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Leonardo
  • 1 Post By Got-ya
  • 1 Post By jamie

Thread: 308 AND 7.62

308 AND 7.62

I've been absent from the site for quite a while

I do apologise for that, but the reason is that I've been busy designing and manufacturing my own magazine for my Lee Enfield 7.62/.308 converted hunting rifle.

The magazine is designed for double-stack single feed with a capacity for six (6) rounds.
    The metal used is 0/8mm stainless steel and I would like to know how to "harden/temper" the steel so as to keep my bending and shaping intact (feeding lips etc)
    (I attached 2 pics)
    Name:  DSC_0065.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  1.16 MBName:  DSC_0064.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  974.4 KB

This pics were before I did my final bending and alignment of lips to my rifle feeding action.

I am at the stage where I am putting together the Feeder plate & spring assembly, as well as the bottom plate of the magazine.

I hope to have everything by month-end

Kind regards

Leonardo
    mimms2 likes this.

Well Done!

Need more info, What grade of stainless? If its austinetic (Magnet will not stick to it) you are out of luck ie 304 or 316 these can only be work hardened which is not much use to you. Martinsitic grade 420 which is used for making knives is the most common avaliable which can be heat treated.
    Leonardo likes this.

Mate I’ve got no idea about hardening and tempering steel but can probably ask a knowledgeable engineer fella at work, but I do have a genuine 7.62 lee enfield magazine if you want me to send some pics thru with measurements from verniers. My rifles at my gunsmiths at moment but I should have it back soon if you want some pictures of the shapes and dimensions you need.
    Leonardo likes this.

Hi There Got-Ya,

I do not know what grade it is, but the person I got the sheet from says that they use it for shelving.

I just uploaded a post of my magazine project with the basic info and pics of magazine and materials etc.

You will find it under firearms and shooting as a new post.

I cannot harden it is I would have liked, as the steel has a very low carbon content. (you can bent or shape without applying heat) It holds the shape very well.

PS!, I am not a gunsmith or metal smith so my knowledge of steel and composition etc, is Greek to me.
    Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 11-12-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Hi there Jamie,

Please do send me the info, as I would like to incorporate that magazine into my new refined one I am starting once this one is done.

Stay the hell away from this shite.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Stay the hell away from this shite.
    ????????????????

Hi there,

You can find my new post under Firearms and Shooting-Projects and Home builds