Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By stevodog
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: 308 bushpig zero?

308 bushpig zero?

Been thinking about the zero on my bushpig after the opportunity to take some "longer" shots on recent hunts. By longer I'm talking 200-300m.

Currently zeroed at 100m as major of shots are sub 60m but wondering if a 200m zero maybe better... Running numbers through ballistics calculator suggests that it maybe actually better at close range and give me a MPBR of about 240m, and top of the post 350m?

I guess other option would be to get a BCD type reticle but like the simplicity of the plex for bush hunting. Not interested in dialing, have the big banger for that!

What distances are folks zeroing their Bushpigs?

for the last 30-40-50 years people have sighted in centrefire rifles that are pushing projectiles at close to 3000fps a simple 3" high at a hundred yards...punch in the figures you have using that 3" high at hundy and see what it looks like... personally my lighter faster load sits there and the slower heavies are closer to dead on at hundy.

Keep it simple 3" high at 100m hit in the bread basket will drop anything from 10m to 300m

Banned
    I like 2 inches high

Same as above then at least if a longer (200 m +)shot presents you will have a better chance of a good shot at it. Even when a couple of inches high at 100m you still hold center shoulder at 100-150 m. Once you pass 250 m you need to hold a few inches high for shots out to around 300m.

2" High at 100. Point and shoot out to 200 then aim for top of shoulder at 300. 2" high at 100 actually gives you a better point of impact for within 30 odd too. A zero that is bang on at 100 will often be a bit low up close. Run it through a ballistic app.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Sight it dead on at 50 metres and check where it hits at 100 200 300 Metres I think you will find it is about right out to 225 metres

As above is what I do,as long as you shoulder shoot out to 300 top of the spine will be kill shot unless there is a gale force cross wind and you are not shooting light projectiles.