Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 3 Post By Friwi
  • 2 Post By 10-Ring
  • 2 Post By dannyb

Thread: 30mm vs 1 inch tube

30mm vs 1 inch tube

What's the benefit of a 30mm vs 1 inch tube? I will be putting a new scope on 300wsm at the end of November and I have narrowed my choice to 2 scopes. 1st is a VX5 3-15x44mm in B&C reticle and second is a Swarovski Z5 3-18×44. Both are similar price etc. I'm just not sure of the tube and what are the benefits. Not concerned with the weight difference.
    Hoping someone with the knowledgr can shed some light.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    What's the benefit of a 30mm vs 1 inch tube? I will be putting a new scope on 300wsm at the end of November and I have narrowed my choice to 2 scopes. 1st is a VX5 3-15x44mm in B&C reticle and second is a Swarovski Z5 3-18×44. Both are similar price etc. I'm just not sure of the tube and what are the benefits. Not concerned with the weight difference.
    Hoping someone with the knowledgr can shed some light.
    Cheers
    Pretty sure with a 30mm tube you get more adjustment, so if shooting long range and dialing the 30mm is better. (happy to be corrected I'm no expert)
    Willus likes this.

30mm gives you more elevation adjustment, but if you are going to use a BDC style reticle and not dial then it doesn't matter.

With the vx5 , I d suggest you get a wind Plex reticle. You dial up for trajectory correction and use the reticle for wind correction.
    ebf, Willus and dannyb like this.

I will use a combination of both dialing and hold over. I will be shooting no more than 600mtrs. My old scope was a 4.4-14×40 VX111 with a B&C reticle. 450mtr shot was furthest I used hold over. I like the idea of BDC but see your point with windplex. Realistically I would hold over to 200mtrs and then dial.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    More elevation correction available on 30mm as mentioned and usually heavier too. Sometimes a larger/wider eyebox view as well with 30mm.

No advantage over a 1" for light gathering.
    hotsoup and Stocky like this.

I will use a combination of both dialing and hold over. I will be shooting no more than 600mtrs. My old scope was a 4.4-14×40 VX111 with a B&C reticle. 450mtr shot was furthest I used hold over. I like the idea of BDC but see your point with windplex. Realistically I would hold over to 200mtrs and then dial.
    What's your rifle if you sight in for between 200-250 for most calibers you can point and shoot to out to 250-300 with a bdc. Wind is the biggest thing to account for with range. Plus the turret on the VX5 are pretty simple and if you do us the CDS dial they are fast and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    More elevation correction available on 30mm as mentioned and usually heavier too. Sometimes a larger/wider eyebox view as well with 30mm.

No advantage over a 1" for light gathering.
    Yes,Yes, and Yes. But there are exceptions

Shouldn't your zero be @200m ? So in theory no holdover ?
    veitnamcam and Stocky like this.

Will zero at 100mtrs. In some areas I hunt I can shoot at 40mtrs to 350mtrs. So I like a 100mtr zero. Tops stuff is a bit longer 450-550mtr shots.

1" scopes typically are lighter than 30mm, but there are exceptions

30mm scopes have more internal adjustment and more importantly look cooler, so is the obvious choice.

Cheers. I have had a rethink and am now looking between a VX5 and the new zeiss V4. Which ever way I go it will be 44mm objective.

Cheers. I have had a rethink and am now looking between a VX5 and the new zeiss V4. Which ever way I go it will be 44mm objective.
    I've just been doing the same exercise and have settled on a vx5 3 x 15 firedot so keen to compare with my Z5.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk