Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 32-40

32-40

Anyone shooting 32-40? Do they come up for sale very often in NZ? Prices? Models?

Yes I've done some reading online, history, reviews, YouTube etc. Fascinating old calibre. Pity none currently in production, since what, 1940s? Or has it made a reappearance somewhere?

so Im guessing its a krag necked up??? interesting idea...wonder if a SMLE could be converted easily??will go do google search now,you have me intrigued.

chuck hawks has a bit on it...closer to 30/30 and cases can be made from it.will admit Ive never heard of it before.

Its an original 1880s BP cartridge, straight wall tapered. Can make the brass from 30-30 by necking down just using a 32-40 FL sizing die but the resulting brass length is a little shorter. No discernable effect on velocity or accuracy according to one source. In a decent action can be loaded to 30-30 performance. Was originally the 32-40 Ballard and a purpose built target calibre then Winchester came and gave it hunting creds and it became the 32-40 Winchester or WCF. Very very accurate out to 300 but only a 150m game rifle at best
    Micky Duck likes this.

have wondered about this myself.... if chamber reamers were available could possibly rechamber a mauser barrel and rethread it to fit to a lever action......but then i dont think you gain much over the 30-30 it would be just to have an 8mm lever action.....wasnt there a remington .32 cal as well in the older lever guns

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Anyone shooting 32-40? Do they come up for sale very often in NZ? Prices? Models?

Yes I've done some reading online, history, reviews, YouTube etc. Fascinating old calibre. Pity none currently in production, since what, 1940s? Or has it made a reappearance somewhere?
    I have a model 94 in 32-40. I don't shoot it at all but correct, simple to make from .30-30. I have a bit of ammo, I would never fire it though...original box and all that. Pretty hard to come by.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    have wondered about this myself.... if chamber reamers were available could possibly rechamber a mauser barrel and rethread it to fit to a lever action......but then i dont think you gain much over the 30-30 it would be just to have an 8mm lever action.....wasnt there a remington .32 cal as well in the older lever guns
    memory is telling me there is a 32/30..eg 30/30 necked up to 32 calibre..... one has to wonder what difference in barrel diameter did to give it such an edge in accuracy,or was it the action etc...

Greetings All,
    The 32-40 was created by necking down the 38-55. Both were used as black powder target rifles. Winchester did a run of John Wayne Commemorative rifles and cartridges some years back. These were the two original cartridges for the M94.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    memory is telling me there is a 32/30..eg 30/30 necked up to 32 calibre..... one has to wonder what difference in barrel diameter did to give it such an edge in accuracy,or was it the action etc...
    Greetings Micky,
    That would be the32 Winchester Special. It was a cartridge that could be hand loaded with black powder and give reasonable results. Had a slower twist than the 30 WCF (30-30) that was supposed not to foul as badly. Remington came out with rimless variations of both plus the 25-35. Saw a pump action 32 Remington once.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

So sounds like the chances of finding a shooter as opposed to a collector's rifle sound pretty slim. I'd love to add a good shooter to my little collection of Lever guns without either breaking the bank or trashing the collector value of some heirloom treasure.

Name:  20210801_084222 (002).jpg
Views: 298
Size:  2.95 MB
    left to right .405, 32 Special, 32-40, 30-30
    Marty Henry, Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

So sounds like the chances of finding a shooter as opposed to a collector's rifle sound pretty slim. I'd love to add a good shooter to my little collection of Lever guns without either breaking the bank or trashing the collector value of some heirloom treasure.
    Agreed, pretty hard to come by, even harder to find one with a good bore.

Where's your 38/55 in that lineup.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Interesting that Reloaders have a Lee die set for 32-40 and Gunworks have Winchester brass, at least according to their website. Probably make a fortune reselling the brass in the States lol
    Micky Duck likes this.

Interesting that Reloaders have a Lee die set for 32-40 and Gunworks have Winchester brass, at least according to their website. Probably make a fortune reselling the brass in the States lol
    Greeting Jhon,
    There seem to be two options depending on what rings your bell. One of the John Wayne rifles may be around depending on what they fetch. Should be less than vintage 94 or 99 rifles in shootable condition. Or a 32 Special that could be loaded with cast lead and black powder as a reasonable substitute. There wont be many of these around either but they should be cheaper. From memory of an article in Handloader John Barsness, I think got about 1,450 fps with black and a 170 grain cast bullet. Its just a matter of finding one.
    Happy hunting. Grandpamac.