Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 34mm scope on a sako

34mm scope on a sako

Anybody on here mounted a 34mm scope on a sako 75/85 tapered dovetail. Interested in what mounting options would be availble...

Not much choice in this size from sako, only their base and ring set up....

only other way would be a rail man

Yep, I just used their base and ring set up. Worked fine on my 85 Varmint and a 6-24x56mm scope.
    7mmsaum and BRADS like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I chucked on a Waitaki alloy (cerakoted) rail 20 moa. Worked a treat !!! options opened up from there! I re-tapped the holes in the receiver to M4 rather than those small metric ones in the T3 that are the same I think in the Sako.

I understand both DPT and Waitaki mill Alloy rails with really good tolerances - Better than EGW that's for sure and about half the weight.
    I think Waiktaki was about $120? it was 2 years ago. No issues and I've had Warne's (heavy) and Weavers (secure and lighter) on it. But it gives you other great options like Burris Signature Z rings which are great from a alignment POV.

My 2c
    CD

Have thought about a 2 piece rail, that just slides onto dovetails. Certainly would offer more mounting options.....

Gillie, with that sako base and ring set up how much room was there between barrel and objective lens of scope?? Im looking at maybe 42-50mm objective lens size, would like to have it as low as I can get it...

I have about 4-5mm of clearance with my 56mm objective... its a heavy barrel though. It a comfortable height for me and I can still fit the lens caps on as well
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

The standard tapered sako bases can be used with 34mm rings designed for the TRG 42/44
    You will need to talk nicely to Beretta in Auckland to obtain them (and pay a bit of money).
    This was the most elegant solution I could find. I would have preferred a 34mm ringmount but there wasn't one.
    Drill and tapping on picatinny rails is destructive and would make it difficult to load the magazine without dropping it out. So, I can currently reload by taking the mag out or feed directly from the top into the mag or chamber. This is one of the advantages of the sako over the tikka action.
    I was lucky that the fore/aft location of the scope was just right for me. A rail would give flexibility there. Check dimensions carefully. Some scopes have zero margin for moving back and forth in rings, being designed to mount on a rail.
    There are several models of tapered base adapters which allow a picatinny rail on top but they add quite a bit of height and all seem insecure in their attachment to the tapered dovetail (eg hammer tap in fit).
    Height is an issue and mine has a lot of clearance between the objective and the standard taper barrel. This makes cheekpiece height difficult and it's awkward to get the cleaning rod in.

Here's a link with the complete review of the scope with info about mounting options. I've since made a plastic cheekpiece that welds/supports my cheek better.

matagouri likes this.

Also used 34mm base and ring set up.
    Be prepared for nearly $600.
    Sako do make a one peace 34mm ring mount.
    Berretta NZ in there uselessness decided we don't need them in Nz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and veitnamcam like this.

Click my signature and watch film... 16? I think
    matagouri likes this.

Near Mfg in Canada (owner Richard Near ) make one piece 10 MOA rails with an integral recoil lug.

They are made to suit which ever action you have, ie, SM, M, L for the 85 or the equivalent on the 75.

Some filing of the rail is required to get the interference fit for the dovetails, then a decent whack with a drift seats the recoil lug. Once seated the rail will not move....guaranteed

Then it's your choice of rings...

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    34mm scopes are a farken big pain in the arse, got Kiwigreg to get me some for my T3 only prob is the bases ate three times higher than they need to be. Ended up costing me $1500 as I ended up getting a GRS with adjustable check piece lol

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Also used 34mm base and ring set up.
    Be prepared for nearly $600.
    Sako do make a one peace 34mm ring mount.
    Berretta NZ in there uselessness decided we don't need them in Nz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I ended up buying a second hand set of 25mm rings & bases off Tardme and sought a 34mm set of rings off Ebay - actually worked out better than I expected, but then again: I purchased straight after the pound dropped with Brexit.....

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    I chucked on a Waitaki alloy (cerakoted) rail 20 moa. Worked a treat !!! options opened up from there! I re-tapped the holes in the receiver to M4 rather than those small metric ones in the T3 that are the same I think in the Sako.

I understand both DPT and Waitaki mill Alloy rails with really good tolerances - Better than EGW that's for sure and about half the weight.
    I think Waiktaki was about $120? it was 2 years ago. No issues and I've had Warne's (heavy) and Weavers (secure and lighter) on it. But it gives you other great options like Burris Signature Z rings which are great from a alignment POV.

My 2c
    CD
    Exactly what I did, different rings though. Works a treat.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Had the near dovetail rail as well really well made and arrived in a week from Canada was about $180 then nightforce rings etc

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Had the near dovetail rail as well really well made and arrived in a week from Canada was about $180 then nightforce rings etc
    So how low was that set up camo, what size was your objective lens??? Did you have any ejection issues with the one piece rail?? Have considered a 2 piece rail for that reason.

Pity sako dont do there optilok ringmounts in 34mm.....