Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 350 Remington magnum

350 Remington magnum

Who here uses one, in what rifle and in what action; short, medium, long. What barrel length. What problems have you found; brass, projectiles, powder. Surely it should perform like the modern short actions? particularly with modern powders.
    Thanks.

Yanks like it-pretty cranky bush cartridge. lots of diameter and bullet weight.
    I did a quick google and its based on a 7mm rem mag case so at a pinch they could always be made from them.
    Also it was originally designed for the Remington short actions with not so long barrels so that would be something to think about.
    I'll step away here so the owners of them can agree or shoot me down as they see fit.

I don't see the point of it when you have cartridges such as .358 or .35 Whelan
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

A mate in france had two of them. A ruger 77 mk1 which was shooting good but sometime had feeding issues and a Remington 7 custom ks which was running very well. Because ammos were scarce, he stocked 400 cases and reloaded for it. It was very efficient on wild boars. He was reloading 180 or 200 gr projectiles as the 250's were too long to fit in a short action magazine .
    Another option would be to go 35 wsm aka 35 sambar. I think that grant at trueflite has the reamer. It would go well in a tikka .
    chainsaw likes this.

358 not belted-made from 308 parent case and a little slower. can stay in a short action
    35 Whelan made from 30-06 case so again not belted and only a little slower. need a long action.
    Not belted good for feeding etc. 308/3006 cases easy to get but I spose 7mmrem mag not so hard either. How much power and recoil would you like?

.35 Whelen performance (almost) in a short action but with the regular mag length case capacity issues you would expect. Brass can be hard to get. Developed for the Rem 670, 673? Rifle series. I shoot the .35 whelen. A case full of RL25 gives 2600 fps with a 250 GM and 2750 with a 225 GM. A lot of whollop in any terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I've got a 350rem. It's on a parker hale supreme with a Mab 18" 16 twist barrel. I shoot 225grn noslers @ 2800 fps using 2208. I've tried 180 and 250's but settled on the 225's. I do have some 200grn sierra's that I picked up at a show but not used as yet. The rifle is a tack hammer with the punch of a sledge hammer and the ability to reach out to 400m.Its great for doubling goats, wait till two line up and boom.
    Tahr, nor-west, 6.5mm-mag and 2 others like this.

Here's a couple of photo's, barrel is 22" not 18" I was going to cut it back but left it.Name:  IMG_0509.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  3.03 MB
    Tahr, nor-west and csmiffy like this.

The three cartridges are 308with 168eld, 350with 225nosler, 30-06with 165SST. With the 225 @ 2800 it duplicates the ballistics of the 30-06 with alot more energy.

Name:  IMG_0511.JPG
Views: 1671
Size:  2.99 MB
    nor-west and lau lau like this.

If you wanted a non belted case then 284 would give you same case & performance as 3006 but in a short/medium action. I see a few guys run the 284/30 for that reason.
    nor-west likes this.

I have one in a model 7. Use it as my sambar gun, shoot 220 or 250 round nose, they hit with a thump and deer go down on spot normally.

Came with more brass and projectiles than I could use in years of shooting so haven't had any issues sourcing anything.

Its great caliber for what I use but there are better general purpose caibers around so depends what you want

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thats what I built mine for, just never got round to having ago at samber! Drops everything else on the spot.

I'm guessing that you've got a decent magazine length that enables you to seat your projectiles out?

Yep Santa barbra mauser has 30-06 lenght.