Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is a 375 Ruger any real use in NZ

Is a 375 Ruger any real use in NZ

Was hunting with a guy in the weekend who has a 375Ruger in the cupboard at home and has been thinking of using it on deer etc.
    He goes after fallow and reds. Would there be anything left shooting a fallow with one of these?
    Is there a good handload that would make it user friendly for him to shoot out to 400m (I doubt he would shoot over 300m in reality).
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I would imagine a 300gr from a 375 wouldn't expand much on a fallow. Could try a 235gr or similar. Seems a shame to have a rifle in the cupboard and not use it.

Re: Is a 375 Ruger any real use in NZ

Ithink its more projectile choice that causes meat damage. My 243 with sst's did heaps off wastage. My 8mm with 206 grain sps didnt

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

you cant really over gun something. the recoil would be unplesant, but it would be superb for sambar

You got to remember that it is velocity and poor bullet construction that causes meat damage, a 300gr TTX out the .375 is only doing 2600fps at the muzzle, would say it would definately exit but will give you a nice wide wound channel but should be limited bruising, you can load them over 3000fps with 235gr pills, then they can do some damage! They would be highly effective out to those ranges.

It is more than you need but not a problem, and always good to know you have the extra grunt if you need it

A lot of trophy hunters in Africa use large bores for small game (Duiker, rhebuck etc.) because the low velocity and large bore diameter cause less damage to the cape and meat than a fast little pill.

My .375 H&H that I sold when I left Africa (SOB) had no more recoil than my 7mmRM I am using now.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

So what would be a good projectile for it for reds etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    So what would be a good projectile for it for reds etc?
    235gr Barnes TTX if you want a fast load, nothing wrong with a 300gr TTX or bush hunting though, will keep the meat damage down and you won't have to change your load if you ever head to Africa or Alaska!

250gr TTSX may be a good compromise
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I can't see the owner running off to africa anytime soon
    Any thoughts on some more cost effective projectiles? Barnes are nice bullets but the prices is alwaysa a bit . . .

Nosler Accubonds, Partitions or Sierra Gamekings should do the trick, best to go have a look at Serious Shooters or Reloaders and see what they have, the more well constructed the bullet the less cahnce of it desintegrating and damaging meat.

Wouldn't think it would be a high volume rifle so may be worth spending a bit on pills!
    Rich007 likes this.

how many times do you think you will shoot it?

its best to pay an extra 35c for a well constructed bullet.

Its not like its a high volume hunting rifle like a AR15 that emptys 30 in a sitting at the range

Personally I would, but I think he will be fine with accubonds or similar.

Bill999 I would think he would shoot maybe 4 deer a year and say 50 rounds target with it at a guess.
    If he wants to use it on deer I just want to make sure it will be set up to do a good job as it may well be mee\ or a friend who has to do the tracking if it's a balls up.

I use Speer 235grn in mine and occasionally Hornady 225grns - both are cheap and good enough for most soft NZ based game, I would not use them on Tahr, but fine on reds and everything else.
    Both are quite soft and expand well and kills spectacularly !
    I've shot rabbits, fallow & goats with mine :-)

I shot a sick sheep a few weeks ago with hendrik's old 375H&H. Shooting a 235 serra soft point from about 40 yards.

Found that the bullet just punched through and didnt do bugger all damage made a big hole in the hillside behind her tho.

tbh was dissapointed but it did allmost blow off the offside leg as it went through the shoulder.

375 Ruger Vs Donkey Hydro Static Shock - YouTube

I have to say, I do like the idea of the caliber, does it preform well out of a short barrel?