Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3HGR Sling

3HGR Sling

Kuvagalleria | 3HGR ampumatuet ja valjaat | Treaper Oy

They look a good compromise between "Biathlon" and Normal carry sling.

I do like my Biathlon style sling for the short walks around crappy terrain and for the young lads to get used to carrying their own Rifle.

Being kiwis, we should make our own :-)

Hi everyone!

My name is Lauri Kakkonen and I'm the guy who developed these slings a couple years ago in Finland. I noticed the discussion and I though I'd introduce myself if anyone has any questions about our slings. Naturally I represent the company in a way, so moderators: please tell me if posting on the forum is against the forum rules.

Both our sling models are quite popular here in Finland especially since they make carrying a suppressed rifle a lot easier - the same applies to UK and NZ, since to my understanding suppressors/moderators are allowed in your country. I must admit I don't know much about hunting in NZ (although I've heard you can hunt deer all year round, which makes me a bit jealous), so I can't say anything about the use of the gun rest in your neck of the woods. Let me know if you have any questions - we're also renewing our website and it should be a bit more informative after that.

best regards,

Lauri

The slings look nice, am not sure about their potential as a shooting aid or how comfortable they would be when also carrying a pack - even a day pack. From a shooting perspective it you have solid enough support to wrap the sling round then you could just use your non-trigger hand to lean against that support and hold the rifle - I don't see the advantage of the sling. From a carry perspective I really like the idea but I am almost always carrying a day pack at least. Also I suppose my hunting rifle isn't really heavy enough that I worry about carrying it.

The sling would be quite good carrying a rifle while on a quad or bike.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    The slings look nice, am not sure about their potential as a shooting aid or how comfortable they would be when also carrying a pack - even a day pack. From a shooting perspective it you have solid enough support to wrap the sling round then you could just use your non-trigger hand to lean against that support and hold the rifle - I don't see the advantage of the sling. From a carry perspective I really like the idea but I am almost always carrying a day pack at least. Also I suppose my hunting rifle isn't really heavy enough that I worry about carrying it.

The sling would be quite good carrying a rifle while on a quad or bike.
    Thank you for your message Gillie. The thing with biathlon type harness is that they're quite hard to use with a pack since the gun is pointing straight upwards. With this design it's actually a lot easier. Some people even use it with a pack in a bit different way and I like it myself also. The sling is placed on one shoulder like with a traditional sling (not over the head) and then the support strap is brought over the other shoulder for additional support. When compared to supporting the rifle against a tree trunk with your non-trigger hand the gun rest sometimes gives you the little extra stability you need. It was originally designed for shooting small game like Nordic grouses, but accuracy is always important when shooting a game animal.

br,

Lauri

Nice to see discussion on the 3HGR sling here as well.

In addition to my full time day job at Ase Utra, I joined onboard with Lauri and Treaper Ltd some time ago as a co-owner.

Some have caught up in the strap yourself around a tree feature, it is a very nice additional feature of the sling and does not bring about anything really negative for the user, weight increase being very minimal.

I just want to emphasize the carrying comfort and traveling in difficult terrain hands free, without worrying that the rifle is swinging around on your back.

We also now have a version available without the gun rest feature, the sling providing the same carry options though.

Videos of the sling installation and its use:

http://www.youtube.com/user/3HGRgunrest

We are currently looking for for a suitable NZ distributor for the product.

tuukka@3hgr.fi

looks pretty sweet. Would work a treat with my daypack with the modified carry method mentioned