Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .410 and slugs for a bail gun?

.410 and slugs for a bail gun?

Hey team anyone use a 410 with slugs for a bail gun ?

Banned
    Know a bloke who thought that it was the way to go, 410 folding gun with slugs. Fine for small pigs but a Fail on the big boars ( which is the very pigs the gun was needed for ) hit in the shield. Slug was stopped. Boars went mad and attacked dogs. I sold him a 12 ga pump action Riot Gun. No prisoners
    tetawa, outlander and rewa like this.

Only person iv heard of using a 410 for that sort of carry on , uncle Chop Chop
    Name:  chop (Copy).jpg
Views: 894
Size:  26.5 KB
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

yip thats a common story Moa Hunter.... .410 buck shot is better than solids...but neither have the punch of the .12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yip thats a common story Moa Hunter.... .410 buck shot is better than solids...but neither have the punch of the .12ga.
    I'd be interested to see what you see @Moa Hunter if your friend opened his .410 solid shells.

Some SG "solids" are not solid at all. Some are basically an exaggerated Minie cup to allow them to deform down safely through a choke.

As most .410s are choked (need to be) you'd be mad selling factory "solid" .410 ammo that would conflict too much with a choke.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I'd be interested to see what you see @Moa Hunter if your friend opened his .410 solid shells.

Some SG "solids" are not solid at all. Some are basically an exaggerated Minie cup to allow them to deform down safely through a choke.

As most .410s are choked (need to be) you'd be mad selling factory "solid" .410 ammo that would conflict too much with a choke.
    This was a long time ago, but from memory they were the heaviest slug he could get or cast - a mini breneck ? spelling. He was a toolmaker and made molds and had aspirations to make a Pistol like a Kea Gun if the boars were slain with the shotty

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

The Barnaul slugs are like that, and even then they are in a plastic sabot. A couple of .375-.395 round balls would probably be better
    Moa Hunter likes this.

from memory you fit 5 of #00 buck in a 3" shell and 4 in the 2 1/2" I was surprised at how well the patterned considering they are all in a row...but then if you think about it they may actually "draft" each other..the front one doing the work. plenty of load data around for it to be done.
    the rifled slugs Ive looked at are basically a thimble shape with rifling on outside....87grn at 1600fps from memory...so about same as .243 at 300ish yards....borderline unless in right spot.
    Moa Hunter and mimms like this.

Personally I'd go with a "proper" single-shot rifle like a Baikal. But a 45 Long colt will fit a 410 chamber (sort of) and if you cut the choked portion of the barrel off a strong 410 like a Baikal you might get away with it. But before you try read this https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/b...my-410-shotgun - which says NO don't do it!!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

yip and I suggested same in another thread and got crucified for it...H&R MAKE a survivor which has light rifling chambered for BOTH. you can make an adaptor (or buy off trademe) to fire both,through a .12ga....the chamber is near enough identicle if you keep bore same size as chamber pressures will be lower with .410 BUT the one Ive got that is approx 10" long generates enough pressure....my good lady wifey managed to drop 2 mallards with single shot through it last weekend so it just has to be working properly LOL.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yip and I suggested same in another thread and got crucified for it...H&R MAKE a survivor which has light rifling chambered for BOTH. you can make an adaptor (or buy off trademe) to fire both,through a .12ga....the chamber is near enough identicle if you keep bore same size as chamber pressures will be lower with .410 BUT the one Ive got that is approx 10" long generates enough pressure....my good lady wifey managed to drop 2 mallards with single shot through it last weekend so it just has to be working properly LOL.
    Hopefully I've got shiney fur . . . .

Thanks lads, thats a no

I got my hands on bolt action 12g years ago from memory it may have said goose gun on it , had a really long barrel & a 2 or 3 shot mag so I whacked the barrel in half & welded a sight on , worked good & it only cost $75 shot a bunch of pigs with it , far more power than a 410 .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

H.M
    Not doing as much pig hunting these days but over last 15 years all i used was a 410 with slugs for shooting on the bail, shot 100s of pigs with not 1 cock up, plenty of big boars, head shoot them from close range and it will drop any pig. Nice and safe dont have to worry about slug passing through and pinging of rock and hitting a dog.
    Just my experience anyway.
    Moa Hunter and mimms like this.

Used 20 gauge with slugs in areas that didn't allow rifles. The 20g never let me down if I did my bit. Prefer the 44 mag suppressed if rifles are ok in the block.
    Moa Hunter likes this.