Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Walker

Thread: 454 Casull any good?

454 Casull any good?

Good day, all. I'm considering a new Rossi M92 Puma lever gun in 454 Casull. I did own a .357/.38 Spl version twenty
    odd years ago, which I loaded very robustly. It shot the 357 loads very impressively velocity wise, especially the 125 gr 9 mm bullets (2000fps)! It did break ejectors occasionally though.
    Does anyone have advice on the 454 Casull regarding the loading thereof and also the availability of bullets, cases etc? Also, is it more desirable/fun than a .44 Mag option? Cheers.

they also make one in 50AE

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    they also make one in 50AE
    really? Wasn’t aware of that.

454 Casull is just an extended 45 colt. Uses standard 45 cal bullets, which there are plenty of about. More energy and recoil than the 44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    really? Wasn’t aware of that.

454 Casull is just an extended 45 colt. Uses standard 45 cal bullets, which there are plenty of about. More energy and recoil than the 44 magnum.
    Yes it is. On a little research, I find many lead ACP .45 bullets ie: 200/230 gr for sale on TM. One ad for jacketed 45 LC at over $1 per bullet. I have found that even hard cast gas check bullets lead the barrel in 357 when they exceed 1400fps. Perhaps I'll go with the 44 mag version after all, as I've great success with the 245gr coated Frontier bullets @ 1750 fps and above. The last purchase was around $125 for 500. Still...be interesting to hear from a shooter of the 454/50AE/ 45LC.

You can down load the 454 to 45lc speeds and shoot 300grn lead easy as or load up some 300grn XTPs that will leave the 44mags in the dust. It's a cal I've been looking at.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Yes it is. On a little research, I find many lead ACP .45 bullets ie: 200/230 gr for sale on TM. One ad for jacketed 45 LC at over $1 per bullet. I have found that even hard cast gas check bullets lead the barrel in 357 when they exceed 1400fps. Perhaps I'll go with the 44 mag version after all, as I've great success with the 245gr coated Frontier bullets @ 1750 fps and above. The last purchase was around $125 for 500. Still...be interesting to hear from a shooter of the 454/50AE/ 45LC.
    I don’t have explicit experience with the the 454, but I do have a bit with lead bullets. You typically need a bullet that’s a thou or two over groove diameter, otherwise you’ll get leading from gas cutting, even with a gas check.
    Hardness also plays a part, although a bullet that is too hard for a given speed will also often lead.
    Also, there’s bullet/lube groove design, and the type/amount of lube used.

Obviously unless you cast your own bullets, you don’t have much control over these.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I don’t have explicit experience with the the 454, but I do have a bit with lead bullets. You typically need a bullet that’s a thou or two over groove diameter, otherwise you’ll get leading from gas cutting, even with a gas check.
    Hardness also plays a part, although a bullet that is too hard for a given speed will also often lead.
    Also, there’s bullet/lube groove design, and the type/amount of lube used.

Obviously unless you cast your own bullets, you don’t have much control over these.
    Forty years ago in Darkest Africa, thanks to Lee, we would shoot anything that wouldn't stick in their terrible alloy moulds and load them in 357 and 44 cases. Candle wax for flux and bees wax for lube...For 38 years, I've avoided casting bullets like the plague ( except for 12g slugs). Needless to say, the smell of molten lead and the still to be experienced medical consequences linger...

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    You can down load the 454 to 45lc speeds and shoot 300grn lead easy as or load up some 300grn XTPs that will leave the 44mags in the dust. It's a cal I've been looking at.
    Shit...you're bloody right. Just need to find a supply of .45 Frontier 300 gr bullets, $880 and I'm set. The best part is the proper sized hole at the end of the barrel. After all, .429 isn't really a proper firearm caliber, is it...

I know where there is a second hand one for sale mate, no mine but in a shop , looks ok but I dont know any details, PM me if you want and I will get you some info.