Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: 6.5 06

Bos

6.5 06

Right y o guys and girls
    So I've decided to go down the custom-build road with a carbon wrapped barrel, and looking hard at the 6.5 x 06. That way I can still use my Mk 5 .270 Weatherby action.

Just need some pros'and cons help from those that have a 6.5 06 cos I really know nothin about them.
    ANY advice will be a huge help,........thanks in advance

I understand its performance is very similar to the 270 win
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Handled one of those carbon barrels rifles at GC.A lot lighter and nicely balanced.

@Brian has a lot of experience with the 6.5x06

Ive seen his knock over a lot of animals with 100 or 110 Barnes TTSX.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    There is a few about I have success accuracy wise with H4831 but quite slow in my barrel and H1000 [ ar2217] accurate but faster
    apparently the pixie dust R26 is the go but........ where is it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Its the barrel life that bothers me, or lack of compared to other 6.5's

And as had been said 6.8 06 ( aka .270 ) or 6.5 / tomatoe, potato

My past experiences with 3 iterations of 6.5-06 have been uniformly underwhelming. Although all three were Mauser 98 based to be fair - getting a 98 to shoot is never a sure thing unless your name is @nor-west.

The first one didn't deliver anything like decent velocities and was only fair accuracy wise. The second was a bit shot out to be fair but didn't shoot.

Finally I tried a brand new cut rifled Kreiger barrel on my last one and it damm well refused to shoot despite a lot of pissing about - but the barrel was proven was fine when I much later reused it in a 6.5 Crudmoor build.

Were it my $$ (and an action as nice as a MkV) I'd be looking at something more modern . . . .

Should have added 6.5-284 is as near as identical ballistically and a lot easier to get to shoot (but I've never had one)

Just get a new 6.5 PRC and avoid wasting money that you’ll never see back if you have a change of heart, which seems to happen an awful lot with these sem-customs.
    veitnamcam, buzzman, johnd and 3 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Have owned a 6.506ai for a few years. Built on Sako75 action that started off life as 2506 and when bbl got shot out I decided to build something different hence the 6506ai. Started off trying to base loads on 2213 and RL19, then 2217 running 140 gn pills. Accuracy was excellent but speed was underwhelming (2750-2800 fps). More recently been playing around with RL25 and getting much better speed (2930-2950 fps) and good groups (0.6-0.7moa) running the old 140gn AMAX. With RL26 I’m guessing might do even better. Ballistically the 6506ai and 6.5-284 should be much of a much, as you see with 280ai & 284s. Pretty cool calibre, yanks reckon they can get over 3000fps. Recoil is mild as
    Bos likes this.

6.5-06........great calibre, throws good quality, high BC 6.5 projectiles, as well as any other 6.5 variant. And can shoot very accurately in plenty of decent actions - I would suggest the Mk V is a decent action. No feeding problems in an action that was previously a 270. I would suggest that if you have a hankering for a 6.5, the give the 6.5-06 a go. And let us know how you get on.
    Bos likes this.

I would say unless you are getting 2950 to 3000fps with 140grn you may as well have a .260 as with a 20" you can get 2860fps with the 143 ELDX.
    I've had a 6.5/06 and the AI version and the 6.5 x 284 but I didn't think there was enough of an advantage, unless you have a 24 or 26" barrel for them.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    buzzman and Shearer like this.

Yep even Brian has trouble generating good speeds. I would pester someone for a 6.5 RPM reamer basically a longe 6.5/284
    stevodog likes this.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    6.5-06........great calibre, throws good quality, high BC 6.5 projectiles, as well as any other 6.5 variant. And can shoot very accurately in plenty of decent actions - I would suggest the Mk V is a decent action. No feeding problems in an action that was previously a 270. I would suggest that if you have a hankering for a 6.5, the give the 6.5-06 a go. And let us know how you get on.
    Ive got a few options
    In saying that, I dont really have a hankering for a 6.5 06, just that if I run with that then the bolt face will need little to no work.
    6.5 PRC is also an option, and so is .280 Rem
    See the thing is that after shooting the mighty .270 for 40 odd years ya tend to get a bit set in ya ways, especially when mine shoots so well, and then to be told that .270 in a carbon barrel is like rocking horse shit......well whats the world coming to!!! I mean fuck me!!!

Anyway, have to make a D fairly soon , and get on with it
    hotsoup likes this.

just go 270 again...you know you want to do so....forget the carbon barrel bit.... it it works why change????
    the projectile choice is slowly getting there...and you can pretty much fill any niche you want now....

or to look at it another way...just what advantage do you think you will get????
    I would be inclinded to go other way if ever wear out poohseventy barrel...either dirty06 or 8mm/06